Tablet/Stellarium

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a version of Stellarium that will run on one of these or something like it....I already have HP Laptop want something a bit lighter......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-Momo9-Android-Sandwich-Capacitive/dp/B007W2LBP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338657023&sr=8-1

Not as such but sky safari is similar and will work on most android devices

Sent from my HD2Droid

I'd recommend not purchasing the program called Stellarium from the Android market place. Last time I checked, it was not released by the Stellarium dev team, though they are working on a port.

Stellarium is free, if you're being asked to pay for it .... :hello2:

(Caveat : this was true as of a few weeks ago, I don't know if Stellarium dev have release their own legit Android version yet.)

I'd recommend not purchasing the program called Stellarium from the Android market place. Last time I checked, it was not released by the Stellarium dev team, though they are working on a port.

Stellarium is free, if you're being asked to pay for it .... :hello2:

(Caveat : this was true as of a few weeks ago, I don't know if Stellarium dev have release their own legit Android version yet.)

Just found Android stellarium from a 'questionable source' runs really well on my Tosh folio

Hurry up with the official one please!

Sent from my HD2Droid

Last time I looked they were not working on an android port but had asked if anyone wanted to do it (this may have changed I haven't looked lately) and the one on the android market has been worked on by someone else (as the source code is open source). The port on the market is the full thing and its very stable and tbh well worth the £2 or so they're asking. Porting software to a new platform takes a lot of time and whilst the orginal dev team might release stellarium for free I personally don't mind paying the £2 for someone else to put weeks or months of work into making and maintaining a working port on a new platform for my benefit.

I use Skysafari plus to control my Dob with an iPad. I have got an iPad car cradle that I have secured to the side. A computer controlled telescope with object info. When you are observing planets it will have the appropriate side facing you. For stuff like Io's transit of Jupiter or the GRS or Syrtis Major on Mars it helps you know what you are looking at. Awesome!

Simon

Last time I looked they were not working on an android port but had asked if anyone wanted to do it (this may have changed I haven't looked lately) and the one on the android market has been worked on by someone else (as the source code is open source). The port on the market is the full thing and its very stable and tbh well worth the £2 or so they're asking. Porting software to a new platform takes a lot of time and whilst the orginal dev team might release stellarium for free I personally don't mind paying the £2 for someone else to put weeks or months of work into making and maintaining a working port on a new platform for my benefit.

You're wrong I'm afraid :laugh: They are working on a port, and the code is not fully open source.

Experimental port of Stellarium to Android using not-yet-complete Android port of Qt, necessitas.

This is an experimental branch built on an incomplete library and is not yet ready for public consumption.

An official public release won't happen until some time after necessitas reaches Beta, and this port is sufficiently mature, whichever comes later; testing releases will probably start well before then.

You can build it at any time, though (see: Building for Android). If you want to help out in any way with development, it would be appreciated.

This page is development-centric right now; most of this will have to be spun off into another page at some point.

Note: The Stellarium Mobile port currently on Google Play is unrelated, and currently copyright infringing (no sources have been posted, contrary to Stellarium's license), and is using the name without permission. Its GUI is based on Fabien's Stellarium Mobile. The port discussed on this page uses a novel UI and will not cost anything when it eventually makes it onto Google Play and elsewhere.

Just made a bracket to fit my archos to the dob, next clear night I am gonna give skEye pushto a go, fingers crossed.

Keep it awy from the OTA, the tube affects the Magnetometer (compass thing) inthe phone / tablet

I gave it a go, aligned with polaris and Vega, I could move between them both accurately, but when I selected arctarus it was way out, tried it a couple of times but it was no use. The cloud was rolling in so I spat my dummy out and came in. I was outside the day after pottering round the garden when something came into my mind,I checked the concrete flag which I had put the scope on to see if it was level but it was like the north face of k2! So I have made a levelling board and will try it again next clear night. Using a tablet is miles better than using my phone, so oven if Pushto doesn't work I will keep the tab on the ota.

Archived