Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 Elephant Trunk in Cepheus (7nm Ha comparison)

AndyUK

Seeing Fay's excellent 12nm Ha image of this taken with her QSI, I thought I'd post up a (sort of) comparison image of the same object taken with a fairly similar scope (Equinox 80 + TRF2008) but using a 7nm Ha filter and a 314L+.

I personally think Fay's version certainly shows better resolution (and I certainly prefer the wider FOV it offers!), but to my eye there doesn't seem all that much difference between my Baader 7nm through the 314L+ and Fay's Astronomik 12nm filter through her QSI?

20120526IC1396HaEmbedStretchedPG.jpg

That's awesome. Can you tell me the exposure details as my setup is very similar
Sorry - My sincerest apologies! This was 20 x 900s exposures... but I now wish I'd gone for 1200s!

I missed the clear sky on Monday night (through work :(), and although last night's transparency looked a bit dubious, I managed to squeeze in 15x20 mins OIII. So here's v2, with Ha mapped to red, a synthetic green, and OII mapped to blue (with 25% Ha used as luminosity).

20120530IC1396LHaHaGOIIIP1PAIG.jpg

The OIII's a little noisy so I either need more OIII frames or maybe to dump these and wait for better weather, but it's all practice... The guiding was excellent last night (shame about the transparency!) and during processing I had to tone the red channel down a bit to make it look more "natural"... (Off to Coventry for meetings now - I hope I manage to stay awake :()

Oh yeah that's looking very good indeed Andy, sort of image I would print large and hang on the wall, oh my, I've just realised how much black ink I'm going to have to order in, if I'm going to be printing my images, oowch that's gonna cost.

Cheers all! I managed to stay awake yesterday (just!). Looking at the weather it looks as though the SII will have to wait a bit now, but I must admit I do like the colour that you can sometimes get out of Nebulae with Ha(G)O mapping. It doesn't work for all, but when it does it sort of takes on an RGB look (which is just as well as I'm really struggling with RGB imaging at the moment :hello2:)

Archived