Another use for google maps

JamesF

Glad I don't live in South Africa any more: from that map it looks like a higher power has a grudge against it. No craters at sea for some reason, and not many in Asia.

No craters at sea for some reason, and not many in Asia.

I don't think that that's because no meteorites have landed in the sea. I think it's more due to the fact that craters under the sea would be harder to find, not to mention all that water would soften the impact and any craters formed under the sea would be filled with more sand carried by the currents or meteorite debris.

(but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong)

Thinking about it, I think the sea bed is also much much younger than the continental crust. The sea bed emerges in the trenches in the middles of the oceans and then slides underneath the continents, so it is not old enough to show any record of big meteor strikes, and the smaller more recent strikes might indeed be shielded by the water.

Chixculub is there though - a more recent big strike visible through the water.

Archived