SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ED80 (Approx 100mm?) CNC Style Tube Rings

Stephen

I'm having little luck with Google though I'm sure I will of missed somewhere obvious :)

Does anyone manufacture / retail the WO style CNC tube rings in a size that fits an ED80 (It's approx 100mm outside diameter.)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it defo 100mm o/d ?

I honestly thought these were 90mm o/d ?

Andy

Nope, definitely around the 100/101 mark (vernier callipers but not long enough to measure it exactly across the diameter.)

Mmmm.

There are 105mm CNC rings available.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3282_Astro-Professional-CNC-Rohrschellen---Set---fuer-Tuben-D-105mm.html

I wonder if some good quality thick felt glued on would be enough to clamp firmly?

Andy.

Interesting idea, wonder if anyone has actually done it?

Is it for guiding ??

Only reason I ask, if I have my ST80 in the standard fixed 90mm rings. Only one time, that I haven't found a guide star.

No, it's for "better" mounting my primary scope (thinking Losmandy plate / CNC rings) :)

I'd be tempted to use some leather(not stuck down), as long as the scope isn't being continually moved along or out of the rings. I've done this very thing for my Carton 60/1000 and it makes the fit as snug as a rug.

All you need is some of the 20mm wide Velcro strip (use the loop side) and stick it around the inside of the rings and that's enough to fit the 105mm rings to a 101mm tube. The Velcro strip is about 2.5mm thick when compressed.

Here's the 105mm rings fitted to the Carton 100mm project which uses a 101mm diameter tube.

John

post-14522-133877776227_thumb.jpg

I'd be tempted to use some leather(not stuck down), as long as the scope isn't being continually moved along or out of the rings. I've done this very thing for my Carton 60/1000 and it makes the fit as snug as a rug.

What a very good idea. Thanks Andy!

Not the first time you've used leather with rings. :):D:D

John

post-14522-133877776333_thumb.jpg

All you need is some of the 20mm wide Velcro strip (use the loop side) and stick it around the inside of the rings and that's enough to fit the 105mm rings to a 101mm tube. The Velcro strip is about 2.5mm thick when compressed.

Here's the 105mm rings fitted to the Carton 100mm project which uses a 101mm diameter tube.

John

Did you use branded velcro? The only hook/loop I've seen so far is very thin (1mm uncompressed) which does not fill the gap enough. I have found some thick adhesive felt in Robert Dyas but it's a little too thick :)

Halfords sells a few varieties of Velcro including some of the heavy duty stuff so it might be worth taking a look.

I bought some unbranded Velcro online as just the 20mm wide black tape but I can't find the company I bought it from now.

John

Thanks I'll see what their stuff is like and also try B&Q or Homebase as well as they'll likely sell the branded stuff.

2mm adhesive felt is hard to locate except for those wanting to buy a few hundred meters at a go!

Well so far the bodge it and scarper method seems to have some success ...

The cheap 20mm stuff from eBay is no where near thick enough.

The thicker 25mm stuff from B&Q is almost thick enough but not quite.

A layer of each combined though is holding the OTA steady (through compression of the velcro) and I think it will do for now ...

Despite it looking as ugly as sin :(

I found some of the branded Velcro heavy duty which comes in 50mm wide, it was thicker but still too loose.

I'll see if I can find some 2mm or 3mm felt and use some double-sided sticky tape.

Only good luck with equipment this weekend was the delivery of an ADM vixen dovetail from ABS which fitted so well I'm on the lookout for another! :(

I've ordered black felt 2mm-3mm off Ebay 30" by 20" for under a fiver posted. Will see if that works with double-sided tape :(

Also ordered another 7" ADM dovetail, some adapters for my Baader Herschel wedge and some Borax powder to annoy the ants taking over the garden :(

It's only money :):eek::(

I think the leather is the winning solution here, the velcro isn't working for me.

I found a 3.5mm thick strap, and it's slightly too big (the rings don't close) so with I've just ordered some that is 2.2mm thick, and that should be bang on :hello2:

Found a workable solution, Felt pads from Wickes. These are a little thinner than the Robert Dyas ones and just the right length. Just needed to cut them to 20mm wide and voila - all sorted!

post-10771-0-54069700-1338836187_thumb.j

post-10771-0-63973500-1338836351_thumb.j

From Wickes - £3.04

post-10771-0-73734500-1338836268_thumb.j

Archived