NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hypothetically speaking........

Its not funny but if, hypothetically speaking, your 10 year old had just received his first telescope (127 SLT) for his birthday and then he's little 3 year old sister blew a raspberry into the main lens. Oh and her mouth may have been fully of birthday cake. What would be the best method to clean the cake covered lens?

Just wondering thats all:icon_scratch:

Cheers

Stew

Sell the sister to fund the purchase of some Baader Optical Wonder cleaning fluid and cloth to remove the mess from the corrector lens. Hypothetically speaking, of course :)

James

I'm guessing that because of the lens coatings it would probably be best not to use 'baby wipes' ?

ERrrrrrrrrr... May be okay for an initial wipe but not too sure about a final clean.

The coatings are quite tough and I think most lens cleaners are IPA (not India Pale Ale but isopropal alcohol) and water.

Baby wipes quite possibly contain all sorts of oily stuff that you'd not want on the front of the scope either. I'd really not want to use anything other than a decent cloth designed for cleaning optics to be honest.

If it were my scope I'd probably be prepared to hold it horizontally near a running tap and wash the worst off with my fingers, before leaving it to stand lens-down (with the cap on) to dry. Then clean it with a proper cloth. Actually, if it were mine I'd take the lens off and do it, but I'd not recommend that anyone else do that.

James

Archived