NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neptune and Triton - 7-08-07

moondog

Shot of Neptune and its moon Triton from last night.

Very low down on the horizon and very wobbly. Visually its a small pale blue disk and you can't see Triton.

Canon 350D Celestron 8GPS F10 (Alt-Az). 6 subs 15 secs @ 1600 ISO

image.jpg

Click to enlarge

MD

Thanks for the comments - I was pleased to be able to find Neptune never mind get a half decent image of it with its moon. I have an advantage that I live on a steep South facing slope and the horizon has a low altitude and is reasonably LP free. (North view is carp - I can just manage to see Polaris and that's about it !)

I tried to find Uranus but that was below even my horizon at the time -will have a go later in the month.

MD

What bout Pluto or is that to far

As Gaz says, Pluto is quite well placed at the moment. Problem is it's only Mag 14. Triton - Neptune's moon is brighter at Mag 13.6, Triton is also larger than Pluto.

Pluto wouldn't be easy, but I might have a go next time I'm out. I'd need at least a 2x barlow on the C8 to get a reasonable image scale with the DSLR. Bet it takes some finding though!

MD

Archived