Which Eyepiece?

In a bit of a quandary as to which eyepiece to get. Having read various threads and advice I have the choice of two eyepieces (4 or 5mm) that I am considering to purchase for my Explorer 130P:

1st is the Lacerta: http://www.365astronomy.com/4mm-the-planetary-eyepiece-p-1669.html

2nd is the BST that I have read so much about.

Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading lots of reviews and the feedback on here the bst looks a really good choice for under fifty quid and will get the best out of your scope I've just ordered 8mm bst piece should be here today or tomorrow I'll up date you on how it is

I think the 8mm is a good choice aswel - 5mm (which I have) is a nice E/P but you'll probably get much more use out of the 8mm to begin with. The 5mm is probably in the nice to have category at the moment.

Many thanks everyone. stevetynant 8mm? I wondered if the 5mm may be a bit too much. So the 8mm will give a sharper view? Would it be better than the 7.5 Plossl I already have?

If your only going to get one I would definitely go with the 8mm over the 5mm - as Islander says you will get more use out of the 8mm then as you build up your collection add it later but I would say its an occasional e/p for when the seeing is particularly good rather than a workhorse.

With your scope a 5mm will get plenty use I would have thought as it's x130 mag, Steve's scope being a Dob will not have as much use for a 5mm. I found the 5mm less used in my 200P Dob but it get a little more used in my 200P explorer because of the the shorter tube so it equals a lower mag. The 8mm you will be able to use barlowed more though.

Thats a good point by Phaser6 the focal length on the 200p is much longer than the 130p so the magnification is not such an issue for you - I would still be tempted to go for the 8mm though as your barlowed 10mm will give you the same results.

having said that the difference you will probably notice is in the eye relief the BSTs will give you over the plossls - it can be a very personal thing - I don't get on with them at all though that could be my age I guess, others love them.

Is it possible to join an observing group in your area to check some options out before you commit? - having said that Alaln at Skies the limit is brilliant with exchanges so if you go for an 8mm or 5mm and your not happy he's very helpful on the exchange front.

Cheers gents. I`ve just ordered the 8mm not knowing the latest post by Steve & Phaser6. But no problem, I will give it a go. Yes Alan is extremely helpful. I will report back how I get on with it.

I think the 8mm is a good choice aswel - 5mm (which I have) is a nice E/P but you'll probably get much more use out of the 8mm to begin with. The 5mm is probably in the nice to have category at the moment.

I agree. 8mm will see more action then a 4-5mm. My 4mm EP only gets used on the rare night when everything is perfect and then i only observe the moon with it.

Have you considered the Vixen NPL range of EP's?. They are about £30 each and really arer top notch. They have been compared in quality to the BST's.

I swear by tham and have used them in the 130mm.

Thats useful info LukeSkywatcher, thanks.

You're welcome. I'm just putting more options forward. The NPL, i find are sharp to the edge of FOV and they offer great contrast.

Given the fact that you already have a 7.5mm EP, maybe the 8mm NPL is not a VERY wise choice but the quality alone speaks for itself. I would suggest the 15mm NPL. It will fill a gap between your 10mm and 25mm................even though you have a 2X barlow.

• 4 months later...

As promised I said I would get back to you all. Last night was the first real chance at trying out my new eyepieces since getting them back in May. I was observing Jupiter at 1:30am this morning. WELL!!! Gobsmacked is an understatement. The quality of those eyepieces were brilliant. I used both the 5mm and 8mm both with a 2X Barlow too and was very very happy with the results. Could clearly see 2/3 bands and 4 moons very sharp indeed. Am now looking at getting a Celestron C8-NGT, so hoping they work as well with this scope as with my SW 130P.

• 1 month later...

Archived