LX200 alignment problems! Help Please

Hello guys, we've just purchased a new LX200 12" with goto. I've set it up and gone through the basic tracking process, but when I then select an object and push GOTO it just goes to a completely random place in the sky :). Is there something you have to do before you begin the process of alignment and tracking? I've set the date, tried it starting at north, tried centering on different stars, pretty sure theres no magnetic problems being caused around me...I was just led to believe you turned it on and with the built in gps, date and magnetic compass it would set itself up and away I go, but this appears to not be the case :headbang:...any help please??????

Sorry I have not used the newer models

I always set up my old LX200 Alt/Az the manual way

ie level it

enter date (in American format)time and lat long

and align using 2 stars at least 90 deg apart in az

sorry I can't help with your particlar scope /mount

Steve

Hi Ya Stryda, I have the celestron cpc1100 with GPS, its a little hit and miss, I observe near to the house - so the scope can't "see" the whole sky, tried switching on a while before observing to see if this would help, once the long and lat are in via the GPS I think the handset will "remember" these, but see if there's a way to check date and time.

I think the more clear sky the GPS can see the better, but Ive tried on a few different nights, sometimes it picks up date and time, but not all. Last night had a brief session and after about 5 mins all was ok.

Its a little trial and error I think, not had the scope long so try to put date and time in if you can do manually, remember the format as mentioned earlier, I do an auto 2 star align, the cpc is really accurate, can't fault it, also had a Meade LX90 for a few years, the Meade got me hooked on SCT's, wish I had more money so as to keep the Meade really nice scope, well made, worked perfect every time - just hope the cpc will be as good.

Try a few different sky aligns and see how you go, think it may just be teething problems with the new scope you'll get it sorted though. Paul.

Are you using the scope in alt/Az mode or equatorial mode and is the handset set to the right mode, this would give the symptoms you describe if this was wrong. The handset should only be set to EQ mode if you are using a wedge with the mount. I have always found the whole system reasonable at alignment (I have the LX200R version).

Steve

I had a similar problem ( buy way of computer) that resolved itself to be a reversal of the hand pad functions N/S E/W that a hard reset or factory reset worked. Admittedly I was chasing satellites at the time but it might help?

My husband has a LX90 which works much the same way. After levelling and pointing north the scope slews to 1st alignment star. To see which star it's thinks it's pointing at he presses ? (but it may be a different button with Autostar 2). It's usually a fair distance away from the star. He then moves scope to centre it, accepts alignment then it goes off to another star, which is normally closer. Once that has been centred the telescope is fairly accurate. Also, have you trained your drive - that improves things. The manual will tell you how. Also, he had a problem with the LNT (level north module) when the battery was getting low. You shouldn't have that problem unless the scope had been in stock for a while.

I hope the above helps. The Meade scopes are very accurate once aligned as long as they have enough power. The other problem we did have with them was when he ran a dew heater from the same power supply as the scope - the scope didn't like that and wouldn't track properly. They like plenty of power!

Anne

Archived