Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red dot finder with a dob issues

Hi

How do you guys point at anything with a dob towards the zenith? I was trying to find m3 last night and even tho my heritage is on a small table i found myself crawling in mud lol. Also while down in the mud i found it almost impossible to see the red dot.The red dot is fine for low bright targets but anything else became frustrating.Any pointers appreciated or is this the life of a dob user?

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

If the red dot is too bright then, yes, it's not suitable for dimmer targets. These sights need to be dim to be useful. The Telrad is very adjustable in this regard, which is what is needed. Many of the other aren't.

Its not just me then! Yes i think i should of just moved back a bit. I was looking at the telrad after i heard alto of good things but it looks too big, I saw a rigel quickfinder which looks smaller, worth buying for a heritage 130p?

Observing at the zenith is a weakness with a dob? Hmm, I find it to be a strength as it is so simple to point the tube straight up. Not convinced by the crawling in mud idea either. I sit on a camping stool alongside my dob and just lean forwards to peer through my red dot finder. Granted it's not the most comfortable position but it's certainly doable.

:)

There is a dew shield available for the telrad finder that has a built in mirror this will enable you to view the sky from a standing or sitting position, its not perfect but it works for me, not sure where you would get one in the UK I got mine from a shop called Bintel in Australia (google the name) and I think I paid about $39 for it

Cheers Paul

Observing at the zenith is a weakness with a dob? Hmm, I find it to be a strength as it is so simple to point the tube straight up. Not convinced by the crawling in mud idea either. I sit on a camping stool alongside my dob and just lean forwards to peer through my red dot finder. Granted it's not the most comfortable position but it's certainly doable.

:)

Last night I finally got the hang of it. For some reason i was putting my head at the bottom end of the tube to look at the red dot, hence the mud. I realised that if i put my cheek to the tube right by the red dot finder i can see the dot so much clearer and pointing is alot less painful now! I feel like a total idiot not working this out sooner, no wonder i couldn't pick out the fainter objects but hey, theses things don't come with instructions hehe:)

Last night I finally got the hang of it. For some reason i was putting my head at the bottom end of the tube to look at the red dot, hence the mud. I realised that if i put my cheek to the tube right by the red dot finder i can see the dot so much clearer and pointing is alot less painful now! I feel like a total idiot not working this out sooner, no wonder i couldn't pick out the fainter objects but hey, theses things don't come with instructions hehe:)

Nice one :) It's all good fun!

My 130p is mounted on a Skywatcher eq2 tripod. The red dot finder gets some getting used to,but it's very good. If things are directly overhead and I'm doing the Dob swivel dance,then I wait an hour or so until we've moved past the zenith.

Archived