Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces.. So Many Eyepieces

Naemeth

Okay, so I was looking at various Eyepieces to upgrade to (the things that a clear half an hour or so does to you :icon_scratch:), from my standard 10mm and 25mm EPs that came with the scope.

The Warthog's suggested EPs for my scope include a 2x Barlow (which will be TAL, of course :rolleyes:), an 8mm, an 18mm and a 25mm. I was also thinking of adding a few to that list, as that's a minimum, and thinking maybe a 6mm, or perhaps I can push for a 5mm too :clouds2:.

I have no real budget at the moment, but I have decided not to be spending more than £50 on any single EP, so that has given me a few options.

£30/ea First, the Vixen NPL eyepieces at the bottom of my budget (any less and I wouldn't be getting quality :headbang:). The useful ones, for me anyway seem to be the 6mm, 8mm, 20mm (18mm isn't in this collection) and the 25mm.

£36/ea Second, the TMB Planetary eyepieces have a good range, many smaller EPs that may prove very handy in the future. 4mm (if I'm lucky), 6mm, 8mm, 15mm and 25mm in this set will probably be the most useful

£39/ea Third, the TMB Planetary II eyepieces seem to do just the smaller range, presumably very useful for larger scopes, and probably not my scope, but the 4mm, 6mm and 9mm seem the only ones I'd probably use, although, I could technically get the 2.5mm, this goes right to my limit, only useful on a few nights in the year.

£47/ea Fourth, the BST Explorer's, what a set for what I need, 5mm if I ever need the maximum magnification out of my scope (with a Barlow), 8mm, 18mm and 25mm, adding the 12mm and 15mm would also bring variety.

So, I'd love opinions on all really, and how much quality difference between each if possible. I'd love it if you could all just give me some pointers really ;).

One last thing, the Baader Neodymium Filter is probably going to be the next thing I purchase as I am in a Light Polluted area, or would a EPs be better? (I won't be driving/walking to any dark sites, too far away..)

To be honest I am happy with my Celestron Plossl 25mm that came with the 8SE, and the X-Cel 10mm I later purchased. Besides the 38mm PanaVision, I haven't considered any others as I was told that the 8SE would not benefit from anything fancy.

I bought the BST Explorer 8mm for my 200P Dob, it is great! I will look at perhaps something between 30 and 40 next. I also bought a 2x Barlow from the same place to make what I've got "go further".

Get one for 2mm exit pupil for your focal length, that is your focal ratio times two.

For my f6 scope that's 12mm, and it really does feel nice to view. I got BST because its wider FOV.

5mm if I ever need the maximum magnification out of my scope (with a Barlow)

The 5mm and barlow will be too much on your scope. The 5mm alone will be OK, and maybe the 8mm with a good 2x barlow. But only maybe. Any smaller I suggest you do not consider.

Before quoting that they say 2x diameter I have noticed that Tal are now saying 2.5x diameter. Same scope but claim more then others do. The others will soon follow and start claiming 2.5x diameter for the same scope as they previously said 2x for.

Assuming the telescope optics are good I'd use the 25mm for low power (26X) as it's a good eyepiece, get a new 10mm (X65) and a 5mm (130X) - a good range.

I don't bother with barlows as I like to minimize the amount of glass between me and the object viewed, save the cost for an actual eyepiece and minimize the time taken fiddling with a barlow.

I have been very impressed with my 15mm and 8mm BST Explorers. I have just clicked the button to order the 25mm which will complete the set (for the time being anyway). The 8mm is way superior to the 10mm that came with the scope and has nearly the same field of view.

Archived