NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

widest eyepiece for a 200p

sorry if this has been asked a trillion times can anyone tell me what the biggest eyepiece would be suitable for a 200p i currently have the bog standard eyepieces and barlow that come with this scope and also a 6.7mm meade 3000 but what would be the better low power eye piece 28 32 or 40 .

Depends on your eyes really... A 32mm is a safe bet, they can be surprisingly wide. Much more than that and you're pushing the exit pupil a bit, and you may find some weird shadow/light haze in the centre of the FOV, but a healthy eye should deal with it ok.

30mm-32mm is about the longest focal length that I go for an F/5 scope. For an F/6 35mm might be OK though. The 200P dobsonian is an F/6 and the 200P equatorial an F/5.

As for the widest field of view, it's around 82 apparent degrees for a 31mm eyepiece in the 2" fitting or 52 degrees for the 1.25" fitting. Unless you have a generous budget it's probably best to restrict yourself to 70 degree eyepieces though - again these would need to be in the 2" size.

I have the f/5 200P and have just invested for a second time in a 31mm Baader aspheric. I personally loved this EP when I had it and although getting your eye position just right (to avoid KB's) can be a pain due to the eyecups offering no real support, once you do get used to it the views are superb for the money IMO.

I have the f/5 200P and have just invested for a second time in a 31mm Baader aspheric. I personally loved this EP when I had it and although getting your eye position just right (to avoid KB's) can be a pain due to the eyecups offering no real support, once you do get used to it the views are superb for the money IMO.

I second that recommendation, absolutely awesome in the 200p dob. Didn't have problems with eye position, but i'm used to "hovering" over the eyepiece anyway.

used the 42mm skywatcher [kellar] on my 200p was alright [with the 2" revealtion barlow was pretty awesome ]

Which 200P, the f/6 Skyliner Dob or the f/5 Explorer?

Archived