NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Life on The Moon?

Gary70

I was flicking through a set of old childrens encyclopaedias at my grandmas house. printed in the 1950's

I looked up the moon, it was amazing to read!

It is almost certain there is life there and even gives descriptions of what the moons inhabitants might look like, and guessing that they most likely lived underground or in the caves beneath the lunar mountains,

brill ;)

I do thanks. they remind me of the old movies that were made of the Jules verne stories, Wouldn't it be great if those things were true and we really weren't alone in our little corner?

I was flicking through a set of old childrens encyclopaedias at my grandmas house. printed in the 1950's

I looked up the moon, it was amazing to read!

It is almost certain there is life there and even gives descriptions of what the moons inhabitants might look like, and guessing that they most likely lived underground or in the caves beneath the lunar mountains,

brill ;)

It is funny that you should mention that .... I could have sworn that I saw two unicorns and a dragon up there on Saturday night. :eek::D:D:D

Can you Imagine the wife complaining about the dust you park on the carpet everytime you come in from the pub?

It's bad enough down here, so we'd get some earache up there ;):eek::D.

Ron.

Ive got an encyclopedia from 1890 ish and I love reading the bit on the Solar System - Pluto is not mentioned and the page about Mars talks about canals, vegetation and life - fantastic stuff.

Makes me wonder just what we belive in our current encyclopedias ?

I think, thankfully, we are a bit more discerning these days, at least in most cases. It seems that 60 years ago a lot of publications had integrity on par with the Daily Mail and the Sun. The type of integrity that can look at a fuzzy blob and assume that is proof of life on another planet; or can look at a rock in an image sent back from a Mars rover and assume it's a gorilla! http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2875287/Gorilla-seen-in-Nasa-snap-from-Mars.html

So, on second thoughts, nothing's changed!

Talking of Mars, did anyone read the books of Edgar Rice Burroughs? I think they were the Barsoom novels with John Carter as the hero. That made Mars a lovely place to be, full of life and vegetation. Howviews change on a shortish timescale ;)

Then there were the sun dwellers proposed by ..... I haven't any idea, but I remember reading it somewhere :eek::icon_scratch:

And just think of the star gazing with all those clear nights!

But just imagine the light from the earth! much worse than a full moon in the sky ;)

Archived