First observation

vaharim

After doing a bit of research into a very cheap telescope (£50) I bought it knowing that it had many limitations but nonetheless the reviews said it actually was quite usable., with its weakest point being the eye pieces.

Well... Last night I was lucky enough to have clear sky so I proceded to set up the scope and for the first time in my life was able to look straight with my own eyes some of the celestial bodies that have always fascinated me.

Boy, what a treat!!! I was able to see Venus (i never knew it has phases like the moon), I was able to see Mars (although I didn't manage to make up much detail) but the most amazing thing of the night was being able to see Saturn and its rings! I was even able to use the X225 magnification, which by all accounts it was sopposed to be but useless, to my inexperienced eyes it actually looked pretty good.

Anyways I just want to encourage anyone thinking of getting even a basic scope to go ahead a get it, just make sure you do your homework before and you will never regret it!

All the best.

The sky is full of interesting and wonderful sights - welcome to the hobby, I suspect you are firmly hooked!

Pretty much so, really looking forwards to do a bit more exploring before taking bigger challenges.

Jupiter got us hooked but Saturn was very spectacular last night. It wont be long before you start wanting a bigger scope ;)

I already do, but my wife has already warned me against going to get a bigger one before I do good use of this one lol.

congrats on your first light vaharim.

Thanks Rory, is really exiting and humbling to think that I am seeing what those inmensely clever people saw such a long time ago, and taught us about the Universe we live in.

great stuff vaharim, what scope is it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Auspom, the scope is a Bresser Skylux EL (photo attached)

scope1.jpg

scope2.jpg

scope3.jpg

That little scope of yours is the 70mm skylux - by no means a shabby instrument, and sold by Lidl's - usually around christmas time. I bought one about six years ago (it came with an EQ mount that is very usable, EP's not up to much, but with the addition of a couple of decent EP,s its great. I own a 16" Dobson and a 10" Dobson but my skylux sits proudly in the corner of my room as a grab and go scope. So as herself says, enjoy for a while and if you want to do anything while you wait to get a bigger scope...and no doubt you will want to......buy good EP's, after all telescopes you may change, but eyepieces are for life

Declan

It was Orion Nebula which did it for me. It actually took me quite a while to find Saturn and Jupiter had gone for the year. My first scope was an even cheaper Argos one but as they say, the only useless scope is one which is never used!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

"Go out, look up!"

Archived