NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guess what arrived in the Post?

Naemeth

So, my birthday present arrived early this year, it was none other than my Skywatcher Heritage 130P, well chuffed! I got it second hand so saved a bit of money, now I've got to figure out how to attach everything :hello2:... tomorrow is looking clear, so, hopefully, I'll be able to try it tomorrow :).

Managed to get it all set-up and had a go at seeing a tree, needless to say, bring on the clear night skies!

Did you stand on your head to make the image right way up.....:hello2:

Seriously, congrats. I think you will enjoy it once the skies clear.

Did you stand on your head to make the image right way up.....:hello2:

Seriously, congrats. I think you will enjoy it once the skies clear.

Is that serious or sarcastic? I can't tell, all I saw was leaves on the tree so the image may have been upside-down....

EDIT: Looked it up... will stars/planets be the right way up then?

I think all your going to see for a while yet is trees this weather is really dire and when you have a new telescope to be trying out it can be quite depressing. Never mind when it finally does clear up hope you get some great views with it.

First target...Saturn????

Mark

Ha, not with this weather. Early, I got the scope out for Venus, then 15 seconds later it started raining. Got a great view of about 8 stars with the 25mm, even with the patchy cloud. Just can't wait for the next fully clear night.

EDIT: Looked it up... will stars/planets be the right way up then?

Ah! A deeply philosophical question, that! What IS the right way up? Is there even a right way up!

Erecting prisms are needed on some designs of telescopes to correct reversal of the view in either vertical and / or horizontal. You probably know that the image formed on your retina is upside down and that your brain does some signal processing to turn it up the right way (and if you were to wear glasses that flipped things so that the image at your retina is the right way up, your brain would take a few days to adjust but would then stop flipping the image itself...)

Anyway, for astronomy, it doesn't really matter what way around things are and the fewer optical elements that aren't really adding anything the better. It's just helpful (but not essential) to have your finder scope doing the same thing as your main scope and to know which direction you need to move your mount to move what you are seeing through the eyepiece.

Archived