Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Taking Astronomy to less privileged children

ccbmedic

A little background information first.

My wife works nights within a childrens home here in Suffolk, the childrens age range is 11 - 17 and they are in the care system for several reasons which range from abuse, educational needs to behavioural reasons and everything inbetween. All in all these kids are good kids and just need a bit of love, care and somebody to take some interest in them. Contary to popular belief these kids have very little, although they have a roof and hot food in their stomachs they have very little of personal belongings and when it comes to Christmas and birthdays the council provide a token gesture of a gift. I have tried many times to get the kids geared up and interested in many things but nothing has touched them more than a telescope and the heavens above.

I am very limited on what I can do with the children due to the restraints put on me due to child protection and not being a worker at the home. I have loaned them my equipment on several good evenings of viewing and gone without viewing myself. I have tried to lobby the local council into buying them their own kit and to even take them to an observatory but due to funding the council are very reluctant to get onboard even though each and every child has expressed a wish to learn and use equipment. Please bare in mind that even the ones with educational problems that dont have a wish to attend school or show any interest in anything have even jumped onboard. Both my wife and I then took it upon ourselves to write/email the big companies to see if they could donate any equipment be it old, slightly damaged or clearance stock. Much to our disapointment we got knock backs pretty much from the start but we still hold faith in the few yet to knock us back.

We recently were in receipt of a new EQ5 Syncan from an anonymous donator who worked for one of the companies that knocked us back and paid for out of their own pocket. The kids were over the moon as this showed somebody taking an interest in their plight to aquire their own equipment. We've also had words of encouragement from others that have heard about this but unable to support their venture, again giving them a boost of morale and hope.

It has really touched my heart that these kids have found common ground and are showing much interest in both a hobby and an instrument of learning. I will endeavour to somehow get them the equipment, Im even toying with the idea of making either a newtownian or dobsonian myself which is daunting as Ive never done anything like this before. I just wish these big companies would see for themselves how it has touched these kids hearts and given them hope.

If by any chance the person that donated the EQ5 reads these forums I would like to thank you from the very bottom of my heart and would hope someday that I too can help you, like you have helped these children.

To the companies that knocked us back right from the off 'shame on you' Imagine what your life would have been like if you were in the same position as these less fortunate kids!!

Regards,

Chris:icon_salut:

Wonderful to hear how you are taking the science to the kids. But have you thought about signing up to STEMNET as an ambassador? www.stemnet.org.uk. You would be able to go to places where there are children - homes and schools, events etc, and more often than not the STEM centres has an absolute stack of astro gear that can be borrowed by the ambassador.

And I am finding that there are many many schools that are begging for astro people to go in and give talks, or do a demo, or anything astro related. Sounds like it would be perfect for you.

I do this, very little on the astro side so far because I dont feel knowledgable enough yet, I do medical/science/careers advice instead. I go to secondary schools and get kids revved up for science. I try to spend more time with the more troubled/fed up/cheesed off/ less academic kids rather than the super brainy who live and breathe A*s - I find they are the ones who need to most encouragement, and the ones who need to be made to understand that the sciences are not just open to the elite (as per Renaissance times).

It's very quick and easy to sign up to STEMNET. I think from signng up to when I was issued my CRB was probably a few weeks max.

Very informative but thats not for me. I've spent the past 22 years travelling with Military life and giving briefs/lectures etc. Now Im doing something thats personal and very local. The people that will benefit from what Im doing are the kids that nobody gives 2 hoots about and have nothing really to look forward too. I will most certainly pass Stemnet's details on though as I believe thats a worthy cause. I think its great that they loan equipment out also, but loaned equipment has to be returned and also booked to ensure you get use of it which defeats the object Im trying to achieve.

I suppose its not really about Astronomy or Science for that matter, its more about showing the kids that people do actually care about them and to give them a little hope when their lives are so full of black clouds. Its great that just by chance the kids have found a common ground with Astronomy. If you could see them and the way their lives are Im sure you would feel the same way.

Thanks again for Stemnet, never heard of it in all honesty prior to your mentioning and I know several people that will be very interested.

Kind Regards,

You need to develop some marketing skills :)

You cannot shame large companies into giving to charity. Instead, tell them how you will publicise their generosity and involvement. Tell them how many people will see their company name and how you can steer them to their website. That is what will influence large business. Small companies like FLO are different, of course :hello2:

Steve

Steve your a true gent, all the points you raised are valid but were indeed expressed on the actual paperwork/emails that we sent. I think the biggest issue we face is that its a local thing with local press rather than national. Regardless of what press and media are involved I still see it as publicity and any publicity can go a long way. They obviously saw it as more a financial thing with lots of 'current economical climate' responce in their letters and replies. It really doesnt matter either way, the 'shame on you' comment is purely personal and I stand by that;) especially when a worker buys a product themselves and sends you it, believing in your cause!!

We will get there Steve, nobody said it would be easy and thats part of the challenge, afterall the kids dont have it easy so why should I expect it to be easy to try and find them their equipment. With the kind donations from yourselves and a few others it really does put the larger players in the Astronomy Community to shame which reflects more on profits than the joys of Astronomy and what it can bring.

Thanks again,

very worth while chris ,

worked with the children's panel in scotland [we literally took the time to listen to troubled kids and help them ,very satisfying but heart breaking as well]

what kind of things are you looking for ?,if you pop an idea list here then i would reckon you may get a good response .[i have some len's that i dont use/need (20mm antares and a 15mm antares and a 2" 42mm kellar eyepiece ] that you are welcome to have if you want [will even post them if you pm me an address.

good luck

dave

Yet again another true Gentleman, Dave it really is heartbreaking to see the kids in the care system in the first place, I think you will have a better grasp on this than most given your background with the childrens panel. Like the supermarket slogan,

'Every little helps'

And that quote is spot on!!

Best wishes,

Hi Chris

Great work. Would you get a more sympathetic response if you approached amateur astronomy groups in your area. They also operate under a voluntary admin system and use donated kit so maybe they could help and/or point you in the right direction. Look under 'fedastro' on the 'net, this is the Federation Of Astronomical Societies who list member societies on their website. It might also be worth approaching your MP by plugging his/her photo opportunity by publicising your cause.

BTW, I've read something similar on Ceefax about the Reach For The Stars project which aims to establish an astronomy curriculum for children in Afghanistan.. This is being backed by amateur astronomers, government officials and science communicators who will supply stargazing kits to schools in Kabul initially before the programme goes national.

HTH and I wish you well.

Thanks John thats an idea I'll look into however I've only just got my finger out and joined my local society. I don't want to appear on the scrounge, which Im not!! I've already spoken to a few members about the prospect of building a 8'' Dob for the little mites or at least trying to do a Newt of equal size to sit on the new EQ5 Pro that was donated, just to give them a larger aperture than the equipment I have and take round for them to use. I'll let you know how that goes but right now Im just reading about such a venture, its still very daunting though!! Just a pity theres none sat around collecting dust!!

As for the Star Project, thats a cracking idea. The Skies in Afghanistan are magnificant, a truly beautiful sight to behold anybody in such a worn torn country. I sat with children many times when I was over there and pointed things out in the skies, albeit in pigeon english. The first couple of tours I only had bins but the last one I took a small grab and go and alt azi when really I should have took more of my military equipment. It was worth it though, my only regret was I had no means of imaging, I would love to have been able to show you all the views.

Kind Regards,

Hi

It might also be worth contacting charity shops and asking them to keep an eye out for donated astro kit. Hopefully the quality will be OK as the scopes have been cared for and/or haven't been used that often in the case of non-astronomers who buy kit on a whim, used it once or twice and them get rid of said scope in frustration.

Their loss, the children's gain :hello2:

Hi

It might also be worth contacting charity shops and asking them to keep an eye out for donated astro kit. Hopefully the quality will be OK as the scopes have been cared for and/or haven't been used that often in the case of non-astronomers who buy kit on a whim, used it once or twice and them get rid of said scope in frustration.

Their loss, the children's gain ;)

John,

This was our first port of call when the Kids and I initially started to try and find the equipment. We have left details with the various shops around our local area and we keep popping in the shops but to date theres nothing but we will remain positive.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those that contacted me offering words of wisdom and encouragement. We are very nearly complete, all that remains is for Steve (FLO) to send his package then we are good to go. I believe he is looking at sending a newtonian. I will obviously have to acquire a collimator for the newt and teach them how to do this, Im also looking at perhaps getting a Startravel 120 or a 150 also as I believe the smaller kids would be able to manage that better than the reflector as that will require no setup whatsoever. Any advice would be appreciated, they seem to love my refractor hence my train of thought.

Regards,

Chris

I worked for many years in care homes and know all to well what your talking about. It burned me out working in these places but it was so worth it to help these kids out many I know are still in care and will possibly never get out.

Astronomy is a wonderful thing for them to get into as well. I trained as a level 2 angling coach and ran courses in bristol for these care homes so got very involved at one point. Far better for them then being carted around in a mini bus to places they dont really want to go to sometimes. Not all care homes are bad some are very good but there are also those ones that just dont do enough for them and I know I worked in many of them.

If the council can see the benifits of a project involving astronomy you need to push harder to get to the right people I guess.

Chris you mention that both child protection policy and not being a worker at the home, has meant that you are forced to leave your equipment with these youngster without your supervision and guidance which I am sure they would very much benefit from. Have you discussed this problem with the council and social services as to how best they can help you establish more supervised contact with these children, especially as your wife is a member of staff. All the donation of kit is great but it does make a difference when someone of knowledge is there to help and guide them, provide information and to set challenges etc.

James

Chris you mention that both child protection policy and not being a worker at the home, has meant that you are forced to leave your equipment with these youngster without your supervision and guidance which I am sure they would very much benefit from. Have you discussed this problem with the council and social services as to how best they can help you establish more supervised contact with these children, especially as your wife is a member of staff. All the donation of kit is great but it does make a difference when someone of knowledge is there to help and guide them, provide information and to set challenges etc.

James

Surely a CRB check is all that is needed?

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/crb/

They cost about £35 through a supply teachers' agency when I last got one...

Probably needs renewing :)

"Surely a CRB check is all that is needed?"

You might think so but it was this that I wanted to clarify with Chris, as his original post seemed to imply that there maybe other protocols or considerations when working with vulnerable youngsters that require more than just having a CRB check.

James

Hi i am pretty sure a crb check is all that is needed, i am a tutor with the Radio Society of Great Britain (radio hams). I had a crb check done and i can work with special needs people and children, just by following a few guidelines. Such a parental or care giver agreement and a second adult as backup in case of accusations should this arise. Like you i am a volunteer and give my time freely, and i know the feeling of satisfaction from helping others. Keep it up it shows that at least someone cares about these kids:icon_salut::).

good luck, Den.

Hi i am pretty sure a crb check is all that is needed, i am a tutor with the Radio Society of Great Britain (radio hams). I had a crb check done and i can work with special needs people and children, just by following a few guidelines. Such a parental or care giver agreement and a second adult as backup in case of accusations should this arise. Like you i am a volunteer and give my time freely, and i know the feeling of satisfaction from helping others. Keep it up it shows that at least someone cares about these kids:icon_salut::).

good luck, Den.

It's all I need aswell, my CRB and I can go anywhere where children are. The only thing we're told is not to exchange personal info like emails or Facebook adds, and not to be left on our own with anyone.

Archived