Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

checklist for starparty

garethmob

hehe i told you

well i thought id write a checklist and id like any one to add anything that would be a good idea as obviously wales is different to the rest of the country:P i havent done camping since i was alot younger with my parents (we had a 40 year old tipi tent that my dad used to use when he was 15 in the scouts) and a trailer which sadly if i keep same car i cant pull :(

so tent.... what kind size and suituabilty for a small lecci heater / lecci blanket

heaters would a electric heater be ok (a oil raidiator) or just a electric blanket

sleeping bag

EHU unit what ampage is best?

gazabo would one of these be ok to fit over the tent and then move to cover scopes

um any other questions when i think of them.......

thanks for the help guys

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately need some sort of insulation from the ground when sleeping. At SGL7 I used a thick airbed and I was still cold so some sort of heater or electric blanket is the way to go. That's unless we have an indian summer of course :(

the canal? lol

i was thinking of one of them led lamp things that turns into a torch and paint it red and i was going to get a camping mat would that be ok for on the floor, basacally make a bed camping mat memory foam topper blanket, electric blanket, blanket me

btw dave i used to watch the trap door all the time years ago :(

what would people say the best size of tent based on 1 person my scope (coulter and astrotrac/az3) theres a 3man tent a eurohike iv queried on freecycle i do have my own tent but its a 2 man so very small :(

You can always but a toilet tent for the scopes - lots of us have them :-)

My sleeping set up for SGL7 was much more comfortable than previous star parties. I get cold in bed in the house, so going to bed in a cold tent while being really cold from being out observing means I have to take somewhat extreme measures.

Camping bed (Asda sell cheap frame ones which are OK). Carrymat as insulation on top. Double duvet so bug enough to go under and over me, and two sleeping bags. I also had a little fan heater to take the chill off the tent before getting into bed, and a scouple of hot water bottles that I put in my sleeping bag an hour or so before I went to bed. I didn't need the fanheater at night, and I must admit that once the sun came up I did overheat a bit!! but its much easier adjusting for being too hot than too cold!

Ear plugs and an eye mask are also great if you want to try to sleep past sunrise because you've been up most of the night!!

Helen

The last time I went camping - (sorry my tent must be a 4 man not a two man come to think of it) - wife and two kids were in the main tent on airbeds (one of which deflated in the night - the wifes of course so that didn't go down well) and I was left in the area where all the shoes and bags were - only thing was there was no vent in that area of the tent so when I got up I was absolutely dripping in condensation - at least having one to myself I'll have some space this time - half tempted to take an electric blanket if theres a hookup though not sure quite how safe this would be in practice.

I had to get a tent for SGL7 Gaz. I got a previous year model at a big knock down price online (big savings out there). I got a 4 man with a separate living/porch area and bedroom area. The living area is big enough to stash my scope fully set up. Will save a lot of hassle not having to dissassemble the scope each night and its a bit better security wise to leave it zipped up inside if needed.

where did you get it from dave? i know go outdoors do good offers but it still seems expensive i know im looking for somthing around 3000 water thingy but 3 - 5 birth id rather keep the scopes in the tent as my cars so small i cant hide it in the boot :(

I might have missed something but all this worry about the cold and sleeping, but wont we be awake in the night and sleep in the day when its not so cold?.

Only joking, get on ebay and get an army sleeping bag (wish i kept mine), and a norwegian shirt.

The last time i slept out was in a frosty november, all we had was an old poncho to keep the rain of and then you just crawl into you bag, fully clothed with boots on and an SA80 to cuddle up to......i had to be woken up i was that snug,

so i will spoil myself and buy a tent.

Hi there. Your first priority should be waterproof everything if it's not already. :hello2: And I really like the idea of a toilet tent for your telescope, just make sure it's Waterproof. I camp in Wales a lot and 8/10 times it is wet (either from light mist or rain) or the ground is wet/sodden. (Don't let that put you off though, it's 8/10 times it gets wet at some point of our camping trip-not the whole time.) A Dew Sheild may come in handy if you have one. I'm not sure if you have a Go Outdoors store near you? If you do, it's a very good place to buy anything you need for the outdoors and they cater to everyone's budget. Don't forget your red light torch and a little gas cooker for breakfast. An outdoor breakfast is the best breakfast! :) Have fun, I wish I was going!!

Archived