Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 27th April - very gibbous, very difficult..!

Kokatha man

Hi all, planetary imaging has been almost impossible these last couple of weeks or so in South Australia as the weather moves into late Autumn and clouds and some rain become the general pattern.....

Had to at least attempt to get a "fix" of planetary imaging :D:p so we got out the night before last (27th April) and "had a go" even though there was a high speed jitter to the onscreen image and focus was very difficult to gauge properly - needless to say the seeing was very pedestrian!

;)

Anyway, as a testament to AS!2 more than anything else, some semblance of the Martian features on show were revealed: heavy cloud over the Hellas region and adjacent areas and, as the title says, Mars taking on a very gibbous shape.

Although still just over 10 arcseconds in diameter Mars, at only just above 40 degrees at culmination is now a very difficult target down here in South Oz.....especially with the weather patterns now prevalent!:(

post-16205-133877768931_thumb.png

Thanks Jeff and Rob - getting anything from my own backyard is an achievement usually, although going back a year or two I was getting much better seeing opportunities on average from home.....and why I almost invariably go "bush" to do my planetary imaging nowadays..!:D

Yes, sometimes an image appears to present itself better on one forum site than another - why, I have no idea: same image, same screen(s) etc..?!?:(:p

Vey good capture Darryl especially at just over 10". I think its rained here or been cloudy every day for the last 3 weeks, so lucky you :D

Cheers,

Alan

You reckon my new export business selling warm flat beer to the Aussies is doomed to failure then :( urgently need another plan to get that C14 :p

Great image, I'm still waiting for clear enough skies to even be able to SEE Mars, let alone image it. I'm in the Chicago Burbs, US and the seeing has just stunk lately. I'm a Newbie and I want to see something already.

Clear Skies...

Thanks GG - seems like there's a lot of lousy weather around the globe atm.....but although Mars is fading very fast and Saturn may not be terribly high for most of the Nthn. Hemisphere, you can certainly look forward to Jupiter at good elevation in a few months time.....and that's a great planet to cut your teeth on....!:hello2::):)

Thanks GG - seems like there's a lot of lousy weather around the globe atm.....but although Mars is fading very fast and Saturn may not be terribly high for most of the Nthn. Hemisphere, you can certainly look forward to Jupiter at good elevation in a few months time.....and that's a great planet to cut your teeth on....!:hello2::):)

Actually, I did get a good look at Jupiter and 4 moons early this year, soon after I got my scope. I was at my brother's house which is a fairly dark sight. The only problem with going there is the fact that it 100 mile west of me. Fortunately I can just spend the night out there so I'm not driving 2 hours home at early a.m. times. Hope to spend several days out there this Summer.

Archived