Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lower half of Rho, an experiment in progress

Tom OD

Hi SGL,

I haven't posted a pic for ages, mainly as I've been trying to get some data for one.

I started Rho about 2 years ago, but I wasn't happy with my data. I did a total restart last year from here in Spain. It still only gets to 26 degrees at its zenith. Last years data had some bad frames in there. This year I have tried to redo bad data and add to the older stuff.

I have redone the process in Astroart5, redone the background neutralisation, DBE and colour calibration in PixInsight, and it just won't match up. I'm hoping its the low latitude, and the difficulty in collecting clean data. Here is what I have so far. Its ok, I think I can do better, but I need to walk awway from it for a while and think about how to get it to work. I'm doing a lot of trial and error, but at least I'm learning through the practice. I have seen some fantastic colourful images of this region on the web with only a few hours of data. This posted pic has 12hrs per panel, and it doesn't come close yet.

This is a 2 panel stitch of 3hrs each LRGB FSQ106N and 11Meg atik CCD.

Anyway see what you think, is anyone else on the forum shooting in this area at the moment, or in the past, or even future?

Tom.

post-17334-133877768661_thumb.jpg

It looks good Tom. Problems will occur as you build the mosaic and more panels add possible issues with matching, etc... I shot this in March and will be getting a two hour window in tonight between the Moon setting and Astronomical twilight. While I do use PixInsight, I can offer little advice as I shoot emulsion. While similar in processing, you're in a whole different ball game. That being said, I am building a four panel mosaic that streaches from Rho to eastern Saggittarius. As for using the DBE, are you using it calibrated against each frame or do you use the resulting mask from a less populated area of the sky as a "master" mask to remove from each panel in Pixel math? Busy areas such as this have made me use a master flat derived from a sparsly populated field, say in Leo or Bootes. The flat is derived from the same setup and contains only correction data from the optical / "sensor",versus various nuances from each field within the rich Milky Way.

Anyway, I like your frame(s). Keep at it.

Thanks Guys,

That Globular is M4.

Jim,

I'm not sure if I understand your bit on the DBE. My master flat frames are done with an electro lum screen. I only use DBE on each frame seperately, one for RGB, and another for the Lum layer (I use Harrys Pixinsight tutorials, I'm new to PI, so not familar with all the ways of doing DBE). As its so low on the sky where I am, the DBE tool is essential for getting gradients out of the image. I think that I'm also getting a lot of atmospheric effects in each different frame due it being so low.

I also found it hard to get points on the right hand side frame, as there is very little background. Good luck with your shoot tonight.

Tom.

I think I understand Tom. Your process is different. I use DBE (the older version) to not only remove undesireables, but to flatten the image itself. No CCD here, just film, lol. The end result is the same. NO, darks, no flats, just working the frame in DBE to eliminate vignetting caused by the lenses.

I'm looking forward to seeing your mosaic grow with the additional panels.

Here's to clear skies and fine imaging.

Jim

Well, Tom, I feel I live just too far North to get a killer result on this one. So hard to flatten it and separate gradient from reality. You're doing a mighty job but what we need to do is organize a Rho Ophiuchus South expedition.

I've no doubt that someone reading this will furnish us with a bunch of FSQs and Atik 11000s to stuff into the lockers of their private jet to whip us down to the Atacama for a week or six... Jim can jump aboard as we re-fuel in the US.

Olly

Well, Tom, I feel I live just too far North to get a killer result on this one. So hard to flatten it and separate gradient from reality. You're doing a mighty job but what we need to do is organize a Rho Ophiuchus South expedition.

I've no doubt that someone reading this will furnish us with a bunch of FSQs and Atik 11000s to stuff into the lockers of their private jet to whip us down to the Atacama for a week or six... Jim can jump aboard as we re-fuel in the US.

Olly

I'm game for the journey. At -30 south declination I can see the border of the visible extinction layer on an average night. If I could Just get another 10 degrees south lattitude that would do the trick. I see your at -44.19 Olly. At 44.53 I'm in a similar boat. Tom must be at least another 5 or 6 degrees further south. Better off than many of us. Sky quality is also critical at these southerly declinations.

Atacama it is. My bag is packed!

Jim

I'm down at 37.5 degrees. We need to get to the Canaries (approx 23), or North Africa, Morocco maybe.

Its either that or Nambia! I have the older tak, just 1 inch outside hand baggage size these days. LOL.

T.

I'm down at 37.5 degrees. We need to get to the Canaries (approx 23), or North Africa, Morocco maybe.

Its either that or Nambia! I have the older tak, just 1 inch outside hand baggage size these days. LOL.

T.

How's access to dark skies in your area? I'd love to see you do a mosaic or wide-field image of the area of the Pipe Nebula with surrounding dark nebulae in Ophiuchus. Have you done such an image? If not I highly recommend it.

Jim

Jim,

I actually moved here to do imaging for 4 months. 18 months later I'm still here. I set up outside the rented house every clear night. Its 21.3 SQM at its darkest so its a good dark site. I was just messing about with the Lum frames over the last few hours. Its a 4 frame with a central overlay for Antares flaring that was making a mess of things, with 3 frames needing a few more hours between them. So this is a rough and ready attempt. I'll attach one here and a flickr link.

4 pane Lum desk | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tom.

post-17334-133877768805_thumb.jpg

From my eye, this looks really fine. The dark nebulae really stand out with the remaining details appearing well balanced. You have a good sense in your processing.

SQM of 21.3 is very good. Nice to see you have reasonably dark skies. How I would love 4 months to turn into 18 !

No bragging, just for reference. The SQM averages 21.7 here. I find it at 21.5 if you measure directly into the summer Milky Way. On a few nights a year I can get 21.85. Not bad considering I built my home under it.

You have a wonderful collection of images on your Flickr. I'll be checking them out!

Jim

I think I just missed you once in Ollys Maurice.

You took that Milky Way in Feb!!! Wow, thats impressive, it must be high in the sly down there. Well if it doesn't work out for me this year. I think I'll spend a month in or about La Palma to get this image. Its such a gorgeous part of the sky, and tantisling, on the brink on being out or reach. I just can't let that happen, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
I think I just missed you once in Ollys Maurice.

You took that Milky Way in Feb!!! Wow, thats impressive, it must be high in the sly down there. Well if it doesn't work out for me this year. I think I'll spend a month in or about La Palma to get this image. Its such a gorgeous part of the sky, and tantisling, on the brink on being out or reach. I just can't let that happen, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Tom

Yes, La Palma is at 28 degrees north. I definitely wanted to catch the most colourfull area in the sky and guess I managed to do so. Too bad La Palma is difficult/expensive to reach by car.

Seems to me you find a great spot in Spain.

Archived