Astrophotography

Hi

I have a 125mm reflecting telescope (f/7.2) and i want to take up astrophotography. I wanted to know the list of equipment needed for beginner AP work. I have an AZ mount and a nikon 5100d camera. Please do suggest what equipment i should get to start out with.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Check out or imaging section, there you can see what other users use and find plenty of threads on equipment. If you still have questions after that feel free to post them.

One of the best recommendations from me for starters would be First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards this book. It really is a bit of an AP bible and will help you minimise mistakes as you get your gear together.

In order to make more helpful suggestions it would be useful to have an idea of budget as well as what you want to image, planets, solar or DSO's for example. They require very different kit.

Would certainly second the use of Steve Richards' book. It not only tells you what you need but importantly, why you need it to take good consistent images. It will certainly help you formulate the right budget for you want to do and so this book could indeed save you money by avoiding buying the wrong kit.

James

Hi... & welcome to the forum

You gotta read the above book before buying anything...

the Alt/Az mount will do you for 'snaps' of planets..but, for longer exposures an EQ mount will be needed...

Does "make every photon count" cover webcam imaging? sorry to hijack the thread but i thought it might be relevent as it seems the cheapest way to start in ap

No it doesn't cover webcams - It's more DSO's with DSLR's or CCD's.

Lots to consider before getting started but I started off with just my mobile phone and a rubber band so you can make a start very cheaply but then when the bug bites its starts to get costly. Best to start of slowly mybe with a webcam first then move onto deep sky images. My blog details the journey from mobile phone to deep sky imaging and might be helpful to you to consider your options.:(

I also recommend Making Every Photon...

For long exposure deep sky imaging you will need an equitorial mount, preferably motor driven on both axis and capable of being autoguided. I started with a Celestron CQ-5 which is absolutely fine so long as you are not trying to put too big a payload on the mount.

Scope aperture is much less important for DSO imaging than for visual and you will be able to get some excellent images with your current scope, although the f-ratio isn't ideal for deep sky (you just need longer exposures...)

Does "make every photon count" cover webcam imaging? sorry to hijack the thread but i thought it might be relevent as it seems the cheapest way to start in ap

Just for information, webcam imaging is covered in Robert Reev`s book " An Introduction to Webcam Imaging " and includes the ever popular Phillips SPC900NC, which is in fact pictured on the front cover :(

So then should I get an eq-5 mount (no goto) and then install it with an r/a drive?? Because the goto version is way out of my budget.

Thats what I did and its all I use at the moment you can really get some great results with it. You really dont need go to its nice but not needed at all besides it take the fun out of discovering things your self which is much better.:(

Archived