Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shed for Observatory and what to do with the roof

myk68

Hi All and clear skies

I'm looking in to getting a shed for a permanent set up for my gear, currently this is looking a good option.

BillyOh 300S Windowless Classic Value Tongue and Groove Apex Shed - Garden Sheds - Garden Buildings Direct

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that would help me and also any ideas on how to change it to a roll off roof.

I currently plan too cut the roof off and then set up some sort of roller rack that the roof rolls off the end and then a drop out set of legs to support the roof while rolled out, if you get what i mean. The rolled out structure cant be permanent due to space so need to fold away when the roof is back in place.

for the initial set up idea I have been reading

Observatory Build, Day One and Day Two. Siting and Footings

and have got several good ideas/tips from this.

If anyone has any pointers I would be grateful

Have a look in the DIY section - there are several observatory builds discussed, sometimes in great detail, as well as links to members own sites with more info. It's well worth spending time planning as you want to get things right. If you have any specific questions why not start an observatory build thread of your own? I'm sure you will get responses to any questions you have as you work through your project.

Stay away from those sheds. I have one in the bottom of the garden that the teenager uses with friends (only the larger one). Very poor wood quality:mad:, very poor pre build quality:mad: and a complete waste of money:mad:. I wouldnt dream of using it to store the garden equipment in nevermind astro gear. I appreciate this might be a one off but its a case of buyer beware and you have now been warned lol

Regards,

Chris:icon_salut:

If you intend to have a warm room, one way to save space is to make the roll off part roll back over it rather than off on the other side. You can also get away with having the roll off overhang the ends of its rails when it's open. Mine is quite a large observatory but these ideas could work on a smaller scale.

For rails I just use U channel steel available in steelyards and any old wheels from DIY shops. Hard nylon ones without rubber tyres are actually the best. I have four roll offs and they've been fine over several years.

A full roll off takes up the least space but the chassis needs to be steel in order to be stiff enough.

foundations1-S.jpg

Thr roof-over-warm room and rail overhang ideas can be seen here;

1ST-NIGHT-5-S.jpg

Olly

• 1 month later...

Hi All

where does the time go. I just got chance to look at the replies And thank you all.

CCBMedic- Thanks for the warning I'll keep it in mind. Has anyone got any good places to get a shed from that is suitable.

Hi Merlin. I was thinking a wood shed is easier to 'modify' as i can cut and screw and glue.

I'm not thinking of a warm room Olly, as its only going, sadly, 10foot away from the house and i was going to run wires and electric from the conservatory where I sit with the pc. The only thing in the shed will be the scopes with a waterproof housing on the outside to plug control wires into from the pc. I may yet cement these through the floor and the boss is on about having the conservatory rebuilt.

At this point its all going to be on the Heq5pro mount with the thought of a pier later on.

Myk, my observatory has gone through a few changes, from roro to split roof to dome. It started out as a basic Argos 7x6 with a roll off, then I split the roof in two and had it move sideways, from there I ended up with a dome, changes still in progress :). There are photos on my FB pages if you wish to look, any questions give me a shout :).

Jim

Has anyone got any good places to get a shed from that is suitable.

Hi Mate.

There is a place on Bradley Workshops, Consett, DH8 6HG, who will make a shed/obsy to your requirements. I can personally recommend their work and the quality and I found it wasn't worth me buying the wood and building it myself they were so cheap!

Bit of advice... make yourself a large cuppa and read through some of the build threads in this section, and make notes from those who have gone down the converted shed route and those, like me, who opted for the scratch build approach. Each have their positive and negative aspects but hopefully it will help you come up with a plan. From my experience unless you are going to spend a lot of money on a decent shed, then you'll be throwing money after bad if you choose to opt for a cheap shad such as those in the link. All our circumstances are different. I own my house so had no issue sinking a deep foundation for the base and pier. Others who are in rented accommodation have successfully converted "free standing" sheds and use their scopes tripod, making the complete set up transportable should they move home.

When looking to build mine I considered an 'off the shelf' little number. But to make the roof roll off I was going to have to brace and support the sides and corners and by the time all this was done, it would be cheaper to make my own.

I'm also a little concerned about cheep wooden garden sheds and their ability to withstand what an obsy needs to do. But then, I over engineer everything I do anyway so who am I do talk!

Archived