Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher ?

Hi guys. Got the opportunity to buy a SW LER Ep set (without filters) for £35. Advert says good condition and it all seems 'valid'. Just wanted some thoughts on these, good or bad. Cheers folks.

Clear Skies

I thought so Richard. At the end of the day I've only been doing this for 3 months. I'm sure once its been 3 years I'll see a noticeable difference between say a Skywatcher and a Vixen but my untrained eye just now won't. Just my opinion of course.

Hi guys. Got the opportunity to buy a SW LER Ep set (without filters) for £35. Advert says good condition and it all seems 'valid'. Just wanted some thoughts on these, good or bad. Cheers folks.

Clear Skies

that was quick. i was only looking at that on uk ab&s about 1 hr ago. (if its the one i saw). hope they work well for you.:)

I thought so Richard. At the end of the day I've only been doing this for 3 months. I'm sure once its been 3 years I'll see a noticeable difference between say a Skywatcher and a Vixen but my untrained eye just now won't. Just my opinion of course.

I think you would notice the difference between a quality eyepiece and a mediocre one (ie: the ones supplied with scopes) straight away.

£35 is not much for an eyepiece set but, having tried some of the LER's myself, I'd rather spend that on one decent eyepiece such as a Vixen NPL, a BST Explorer or one of the TMB Planetary clones.

Good views will motivate / enthuse you but mediocre views will just provide frustration I reckon.

Oh yes you will!! The difference is obvious from the outset. But if you get them you can see if they suit you and if not, you can always split up the set and sell them on EBay and probably make more than you bought them for - keep the box, always handy for the new ones that you get with the money :)

Cheers for the input chaps. Think I'll leave the set and buy one decent ep. Been lookin at Vixen NPL 6mm (I need a sub 10mm that much I know), but there appears to be precoius little eye relief on the 6mm. I don't wear glasses but some eye relief would be nice

I have a set of LER's and I agree with everyone above in that they are only Mediocre. They are definetely better than most stock EP's but very middle range compared to the more expensive ones out there. They do have one big positive though which is why I've kept mine. They are VERY comfortable to look through, so get used for long observations or towards the end of a session. Thats it. Probably better to save up and get better views with a single more expensive EP imo. :)

.... I don't wear glasses but some eye relief would be nice

The TMB Planetary II clones have 16mm of eye relief, as do the BST Explorers. They do cost a bit more than the NPL's but their design is a little more sophisticated.

Archived