NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6888 Crescent Nebula in Halpha + "new" discovery

Grinde

Hi!

3 days after the astronomical darkness ended (N63°) , I managed to capture this in H-alpha, even though the sky wasn't pitch black. A typical autumn-target, but I managed to grab it just as it was rising in the east. I'm suprised that the data came out nicely for over three hours without getting affected by the setting/rising sun.

Now to the fun part, I thought I had discovered a new nebula when examining the stack, a very small & very faint bubble in the lower left corner! First I cursed my flats for getting too old, but realised it was actually nebulosity on the screen, not dust-donuts. Hooray! But after some research online, I discovered that my discovery was already discovered. It was the "PN G75.5+1.7 soap bubble nebula", discovered 2008, that's pretty recent! But since I never heard about it before, it was still a exciting new discovery for me, I'm super-stoked about grabbing it with just a 4" ota very low on the horizon without astronomical darkness.

Ha: 10*20min unguided

Takahashi FSQ106EDX

QSI 583wsg

10Micron GM2000 HPS

Here's the location of the elusive bubble

Click image for slightly bigger version

6960509564_43dedcbb7f.jpg

Click image for the 100% version

6960509308_6bcbf190c0_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jonas

Lovely image Jonas, looks great in Ha, and that little soap neb id amazing.... I bet you are really chuffed with that. I kind of did discover it, as you didnt know it was there (to be truthfull i had no idea it was there either). I wonder if it has ever been imaged on SGL before???

Again congrats on a great image :)

Keiran

Excellent pic Jonas,

That soap bubble is very dim, but I think it responds to O3 ok as well as the Ha. Olly took a pic of it a while ago, maybe its in the archives. As you say 2008 is not that long ago. It shows how deep we are going now with our deep space images.

Tom.

Archived