NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

happy birthday.... have some rain!!

SpaceMonkey777

Well, the month of staring at the boxes finally came to an end yesterday, I'm the newest member of the dob appreciation society!

Very pleased!

But, as promised, clouds and rain have truly been released! And what makes it all the worse, saturday night was perfect where i am, and since the Spurs didn't do me any favours, spent some time looking for meteors! Did bag a couple!!

Anyway, here it is, my shiny new dob:) will have to update my signature !

post-32227-133877766812_thumb.jpg

Congrats Space monkey. I picked up an identical Dob exactly a week ago and - due to the terrible drought - we have had rain or clouds every night since! Managed to set up the finder to the OTA in daylight, to quote a 60's Who track: "I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles" but I WANT NIGHT SKY. What EP's are you working with, I have the basic 10mm and 25mm as supplied. Thinking maybe a 15-17mm and a 2x Barlow to offer more but don't even know what I can see with the originals yet! Weather forecast for me is much of the same negative stuff until next weekend at the earliest.

Man, you're patient, I remember reading your thread when you got the scope delivered ! we were all telling you to open it and check it !

Glad your happy with it, its a great scope ... wishing for some gaps in the clouds for you !

Dont forget to let it cool outside to match the temp or your veiwing will be all shimmery and dissapointing, it really does matter

Happy birthday and big congratulations on getting a great scope! Now remember, you're not allowed to use the scope until you've tidied up all your toys (certainly the ones I can see in the background there!).:D:D

Wishing you clear skies soon.

James

Thanks for all the messages folks, i guess the patience thing will see me in good stead with this weather we're having!!

Northgate, I've only got the supplied ep's at the mo, i was considering the 8mm BST, but my sensible side kicked in and brought a couple of thing's i'll need instead of wanting!! I've brought a cheshire collimator and a flight case from maplins for bits + pieces!! I'll get to know my gear before i start throwing more money around!!

And JamesM, re the toys, thats pretty much what the Mrs said!! In all seriousness, i think my gear is going to be stowed in the garage, having a 19month son, my place is already a good advert for toys r us!

Clear skies to all!!

Evenin' all!

It looked like there could be some gaps in the clouds this evening so I got the Dob out of the garage, removed the lens covers, stuck in the 25mm and pointed it at Venus. WOW - lovely view of the crescent and definitely an orange tinge. Swapped to the 10mm and even better but it moves so fast! Nudged my way in time with it - that's nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be - and then couldn't resist a peak at the good old moon. Excellent views of the mountains and shadows cast even with the 25mm EP, craters and impact sites within the craters clearly visible. I was surprised how bright it is even when it is low in the sky, note to the birthday fairy "Lunar Filter?". Tried the 10mm and struggled to fit the whole body into the view, although what it revealed was absolutely wonderful. Clouding over so called it a day.

So much for angling - I'm hooked. I just wish I could share the images I can see.

Evenin' all!

It looked like there could be some gaps in the clouds this evening so I got the Dob out of the garage, removed the lens covers, stuck in the 25mm and pointed it at Venus. WOW - lovely view of the crescent and definitely an orange tinge. Swapped to the 10mm and even better but it moves so fast! Nudged my way in time with it - that's nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be - and then couldn't resist a peak at the good old moon. Excellent views of the mountains and shadows cast even with the 25mm EP, craters and impact sites within the craters clearly visible. I was surprised how bright it is even when it is low in the sky, note to the birthday fairy "Lunar Filter?". Tried the 10mm and struggled to fit the whole body into the view, although what it revealed was absolutely wonderful. Clouding over so called it a day.

So much for angling - I'm hooked. I just wish I could share the images I can see.

before you buy a lunar filter try putting the scope cover back on but with the small 3" cover off ... cheaper and no postage !

Archived