NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommendation for diagonal

allen g

Hi guys, I have the LX 90 8" and use both ethos EPs and at times 11/4 EPs that came with the kit. I upgraded to the Meade 5000 a while back but the turret lossened after using the heavy EPs. So, I am thinking of upgrading but need a good solid diagonal that can handle 2 as well as 1 1/4 EPs but must fit properly so that it does not hit the bottom of the fork mount thus spacing is important. I am looking for a quality diagnonal and am willing to make the investment. Thanks much. allen g

I don't know what your clearance is but the TV and the Revelation are pretty much the same size - I've got one of each.

The Revelation is a very fine diagonal and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it but I thought you were after something where there was absolutely no chance of a turret / barrel unscrewing - hence my pointer towards the one-piece Tele Vue.

I must admit, i don't use 'heavy' eyepieces like the big naglers or ethos but if i had that kind of expense at the end of a diagonal i would consider a one piece construction such as the tele vue as providing that extra piece of mind. I had a william optics but again it unscrews and can loosen.

andrew

I bought the Revelation quartz 2" SCT fit for my 6 - screws directly onto the visual back to save length, which is just as well because it is bigger than I expected :) nice and sturdy though, and I don't feel like my EPs are going anywhere.

Downside being it'll only affix to a SCT. Not a problem for me :rolleyes:

As has been mentioned if you are concerned about clearance, then invest in the Revelation Diagonal Dielectric Quartz LX SCT - a push fit design, available through Telescope House. Fits directly to the rear cell screw thread of the optical tube so no need for a visual back.

I have one on my fork mounted SCT and it performs well.

thanks for the advice and I followed through as my scope shop had the televue. There is a lesson to be learned here for anyone using heavy eyepieces - Get a solid and quality one-piece diagonal otherwise there is a risk to your EPs.

The TV everbright along with my nagler and ethos EPs are a dream combination - and the clearance is perfect. Next dream is a TV scope but just dreaming for the time being. thanks for all the feedback.

Archived