Delos "flood"

John

Some good news there, a bit unexpected though - after the slow initial pace this is an explosion of new focal lengths, indeed! I guess TV is determined to give the Pentax XW's a run for it's money :)

Already had a 6mm Delos planned, but a 4.5mm might be an interesting option for me later down the line.

As (especially) a potential Hyperion upgrade, the might have adopted Baader style 2" capability. <G> Of course, Teleview concentrate on (supreme!) optics. But their notion of [family] aesthetics etc., is often a little quirky, to my eye... :)

Quite a departure from the usual: 5, 8, 13 or 6, 10, 17 focal length series too... :rolleyes:

.... But their notion of [family] aesthetics etc., is often a little quirky, to my eye... :)....

It's a personal thing but I don't really like the hybrid 1.25" - 2" barrel/skirt approach TV use on some eyepieces. It seems "messy" to me. I wish they would just plump for one or the other or supply a removable adapter like they do with the Ethos 110 SX and Hyperion Zooms. At least the Delos range, so far, is all 1.25".

I agree they should have stuck to either one format or the other. I seat both my Ethos in 2" mode as it feels much more secure in the focuser. The 1.25" nosepiece is a bit on the short side for my liking.

The skirt approach makes sense from a marketing point of view - you'll sell more of them if you're compatible with the 1.25" format, but 2" users will prefer to use them in 2" mode. I personally don't mind the skirt approach, though I do use my 10mm Ethos in 2" mode - as others have found as well, it's just more secure that way. It allows me to not fiddle with a 1.25" adapter in the dark, which is a definite plus.

+1 more.:D

It's the one thing I cannot stand about my 12mm T4 why oh why couldn't they just make it 2" that stupid little extra 1.25 bit sticking out the bottom is ridiculous IMO.

Let's be honest you are never going to use a great lump of an eyepiece like this in 1.25" mode anyway.

Rant over.:rolleyes:

"Those Delos have some nice focal lengths.":rolleyes:(just leave it Steve, you don't need em) "oh! but I do".:eek:

:)

The Delos range appear to be covering medium to high-power, and leaving the wider field to Panoptics.

I always wondered why Panoptics started at 19mm (15mm previously). Why can they not just cover the full range?

The Delos range appear to be covering medium to high-power, and leaving the wider field to Panoptics.

I always wondered why Panoptics started at 19mm (15mm previously). Why can they not just cover the full range?

I'm not an optics expert by any definition of the word, but I'd guess that between lower and higher powers there's enough optical and design differences to warrant calling it a different series. Of course, having lines makes sense from a marketing standpoint too - it allows you some flexibility in what marketing segments / price brackets / competition lines you'll target.

Just hope they are not 'rushing' them into the market to try and snap up people who may be dithering over rumours of Pentax XW supply being in question. If they release them before they are ready there will be some unhappy campers, but that is not the sort of thing you expect from a firm like TV where their whole business rest on a reputation for excellence.

I don't like 1.25" / 2" skirt designs either. I think the Delos range 'looks' superb and the twist-lock eyecup height adjustment is a dream to use. I do wonder what the 12mm is like but I honestly can't see myself buying one.

I don't think you get to a position Tele Vue is at without knowing what you're doing. Tele Vue is known for no-compromise, extre expensive stuff. Their users don't mind paying the exorbitant prices because they know they'll get the top of the line for their money - they really can't affort to ship something substandard and rushed. It would be a kiss of death in their case - if you're not positive you're getting something that's optically and mechanically perfect, you'd be mad to shell out the amounts of money TV asks for their stuff.

Just hope they are not 'rushing' them into the market to try and snap up people who may be dithering over rumours of Pentax XW supply being in question. If they release them before they are ready there will be some unhappy campers, but that is not the sort of thing you expect from a firm like TV where their whole business rest on a reputation for excellence.

I don't like 1.25" / 2" skirt designs either. I think the Delos range 'looks' superb and the twist-lock eyecup height adjustment is a dream to use. I do wonder what the 12mm is like but I honestly can't see myself buying one.

You mean like a certain 10mm that disintegrate when cleaned with a bulb blower. I'm sure TV will make sure this won't happen again in the new design.

I do wonder what's Pentax doing nowadays, there seems to be more and more reports of them stop making eyepieces and their camera are getting more and more ridiculous. Nikon on the other hand is still selling, or not selling, their NAV at insanity price. It's almost like the Japanese have lost interest in astronomy.

Archived