Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The "Blue Whale" Revisited

The "Blue Whale"

I bought the Orion Optics UK OD350 14" dob a few years ago and installed a StellarCAT drive and Argo Navis along with many other mods and mounted it on a Scopebuggy, but I have made a few changes lately. While the original set-up worked well it was a bit bulky and heavy and I found I just wasn't using the Argo Navis as well. So changes were made to make it lighter and easier/quicker to set up.

Orion Optics UK OD350 Dobsonian Telescope

Focal length: 1600mm

Focal ratio: f/4.5

Mirror: Ultra grade 0.990 Strehl & CNC 9 point cell with fan

Focuser: Baader Steeltrack

Finders: Telrad & 9x50 RA Correct image & Polar alignment scope

Drive system: StellarCAT

Counterbalance: Sliding weight system

Castors: Footmaster levelling castors

Carry handles: From WDS Ltd.

Flocking: Protostar

Dust covers: AstroZap breathable covers

The ScopeBuggy was dispensed with and a set of Footmaster levelling castors were fitted. The Footmaster castors are about £100.00 for a set of three but make the scope very easy to roll around and have built in levelling feet that are extended by simply turning the adjusting wheel. The feet are also anti-vibration feet. I got the 2" castor version and while I would have preferred the 3" ones they are a LOT more expensive. :)

I removed the ArgoNavis DSC as I found I just never seemed to use it as the StellarCAT's tracking was all I needed and it has a very useful spiral search facility. Also it simplifies set-up. The StellarCAT drives can be disconnected simply by flipping two catches and then the scope can be used manually.

The sliding weight counterbalance system consists of a SkyWatcher long dovetail bolted to the tube and a Skytee 2 dovetail saddle with weights bolted to it. See the Skytee 2 dovetail saddles do have a use after all. :confused:

The polar alignment scope is fitted using a standard 6x30 finder bracket. The StellarCAT system does track well with just a rough polar alignment, but the more accurately it is polar aligned the better.

The original thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/68594-orion-optics-uk-od350-14-dob-stellarcat-argo-navis.html

I think I've the set-up about right now. It's similar in weight and as easy carry and set up as a SkyWatcher 12" dob but performs just as well as a Meade or SkyWatcher 16" dob on DSOs, but much better on lunar/planetary. It takes up surprisingly little floor space and can be rolled into a corner out of the way. A great all-rounder.

John

post-14522-133877763128_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877763133_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877763138_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877763144_thumb.jpg

It can be tucked away in a corner of the conservatory for "temporary" storage where it isn't too obtrusive. Takes up surprisingly little floor space for a decent sized scope. It should get more use now as it can be moved outside onto the patio and set up and left to cool down in about a minute flat. Sort of grunt'n'go rather than grab'n'go I suppose. :rolleyes:

My old 16" Lightbridge could never have been called unobtrusive. :)

John

post-14522-133877765678_thumb.jpg

Archived