Anyone live near warrington

I have purchased a 250px goto and I am finding it difficult to get decent views it is my 1st scope and think I must be doing something very wrong as I can't get detail on anything I look at is there anyone who lives near to warrington who could help me I would be willing to come to you or you could come to me not sure what I am doing wrong but I think I need some help getting started. I know this is probably an unusual request but I have this huge telescope but no idea how to use it.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Hi Michael, what's the problem?

Have you managed to set up but can't find anything or find things but they don't look right or don't look as you expect?

If you can describe further that would be helpful :D

Sorry you are having problems. If you explain a bit more about them we might be able to help :(

There are a number of issues that newcomers to using scopes run into and we have all been there :D

Where do I start.

Well I have used the scope a couple of times and last night I pointed it to Venus and mars but all I saw was a bright looking golf ball like object with golf ball like dimples across the image this was the same for both planets.

I posted my issues last night and was told maybe I had not focused the scope, so tonight I took it out again and I either saw the same golf ball image when altered the focus saw a very small dot with no detal at all.

I must be doing something wrong.

Hi Nigel

This was suggested to me a couple of nights ago so I checked and I only have the smaller holder fitted

The sort of images I am getting is making me think the dope is faulty however there is a good chance it's me doing something wrong, hope it the latter.

Could you give some examples of what you have looked at, what you expected to see and what you actually saw, or didn't ?.

When you are new to observing with a scope sometimes the views are not at all what you expect !

Hi John

I have been looking at Venus & mars but what I see is the same with both planets it's like a bright white golf ball image with golf ball like dimples across the whole image, no detail no colour I have been using a 25mm eyepiece

A friend of mine said he used a much smaller telescope a few years ago and was getting better views so something not right as its a 10" 250px

Another problem you may have, are you bringing the scope out of a warm house and using it straight away? You need to let the primary mirror cool down to the same temperature as outside. This can be as much as 45mins on a 10" mirror.

Liverpool Astronomical Society meet every Wednesday at Pex hill near Cronton from 7pm to 9pm. If you can get there at that time on any Wednesday then there will always be someone there to help.

Map: 53.393999, -2.751549 - Google Maps

As stated, by Cosmological, the Liverpool A.S can help you sort out the problem and especially if you can get the scope to our observatory www.liverpoolas.org on a Wednesday evening.

When you observe a star it should appear as a pin point and not a disc or blob. If the star is not a pin point then it is not focused. The Moon is a good object to check focus as it will show clear defined craters and mountanous regions. The planets, when focused, show some size and are definitely not pin points of light. They may appear smalll or, as Jupiter and Saturn, large and obvious. Your telescope has a reasonable sized aperture and does collect alot of light which may be causing your image to appear to be bright and washed out. Coloured filters may be of help to reduce this. I strongly suggest that you visit us and chat over a 'cuppa', I am sure that we can sort out the problem and get you on track to successful observing.

Regards from Dave Galvin ( Liverpool A.S)

Okay Micheal, I will be there around 20:00, ask for Brendan (Observatory Director) and mention myself. The group are very easy going and down to earth. The evening will be relaxed and I am sure that you will come away having learnt something. :-)

Regards from Dave Galvin.

Archived