Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring galaxies.

cotterless45

No Moon! First to Leo ( the triplet being bright), then a nudge over to Virgo, up to Coma Bernices.Stopped at M53, a super globular cluster.Then noticed that for the first time I could see all three corner stars of Coma Bernices and Melotte 111 by eye. Onto the Coma cluster, before the first claggy clouds came in with a mess of dew.

I put away the charts and used a 30mm and 21mm eyepiece in the 10" Lightbridge, the view was speckled with galaxies.

We live in a light polluted town, it was a treat to see a clear sky and just enjoy widefield views of these wonderful areas outside of our galaxy.

Try an evening just gazing!

I agree, the Coma-Virgo cluster of galaxies is impossible to resist, and I can spend hours in that area (though it takes ages identifying every galaxy!). I finally got all the messiers in that region, and verified them, so hopefully i can go back with some idea what I am looking at! As an aside, I just wish M102 would be much closer to some visible stars, I'm not getting very far in tracking it down! :D

Archived