Just got my first scope what else will I need

Ive just managed to get my hands on a second hand Skywatcher Skymax 127 on an AZ goto mount off of AstroBuySell UK. I got it for what I consider to be a good price considering the guy said hes only had it 4/5 months.

Its the scope Ive been after for a while but due to the shortage of new SW and Celestron scopes Ive been waiting for a decent secondhand one to com up.

Im just wondering what else I might need to get, its coming with these:

6mm Ultra Wide,10mm, 25mm

2x Barlow

Diagonal

Moon filter

Oh is that the scope the guy dropped and has been trying to sell for two years????

Joking

Well other than clear skies it depends on what you want from your scope. Personally I would give yourself a couple of weeks or more to get used to it then see what you might need then. A good book or planisphere will help, turn left at orion is a nice book. You may think with a goto you won't need it but you can end up with your scope pointing at the ground if you don't know where in the sky the object is at a certain time.

At 1500 focal length I would have said a couple of eyepieces, the 6mm will not be useable in many situations, 250x. I would suggest the BST's in 8mm and 12 mm if you want highish magnifications.

Not sure about the SW Maks but if they can be obtained one of those focus extender flexible things are useful, easier to find and hey reduce shake.

Join a local astronomy club. You will meet like minded folk of all experiences and levels - and the liklihood is, you will learn more in a couple of hours than you will in a couple of months - bring along your scope and let the other boys and girls get at it - show how to get the best out of it. but if you do want to invest in anything: a good A4 size star atlas, a good quality eyepiece and a thermos flask :)

Hey, congratulations on your first scope, should show some great things, agree with above, a dew shield is essential, otherwise get used to the scope with what came with it. Later on, some better ep's, the BST Explorers (now called StarGuiders) 8mm and 12mm would be excellent choices.

Thanks for the advice people.

I'm defiantly going to get a dew shield and I've been thinking of getting turn left at Orion on hard copy (I have it on PDF) and also nightwatch.

I'm interested to know of the mount can be ran on a car or caravan leisure battery as I will be using it while on caravan trips (so very dark skies to be had).

Make sure you get the latest version of turn left, the one on PDF is an older version, you need the new ring bound copy.

It should run of the battery ok as long as you have the right cable.

Ahh Ill make sure I get the newer one then, thanks. failing getting my leisure battery sorted I'll keep my eye out for a cheap power tank.

Ahh Ill make sure I get the newer one then, thanks. failing getting my leisure battery sorted I'll keep my eye out for a cheap power tank.

Wayne

This is what i got for my GO TO mount.

NP7-12 Yuasa VRLA Battery 12v 7ah | eBay

I have checked the weather and for the foreseable future it looks like cloud now that you have finally taken the plunge mate.:)

Wayne

This is what i got for my GO TO mount.

NP7-12 Yuasa VRLA Battery 12v 7ah | eBay

I have checked the weather and for the foreseable future it looks like cloud now that you have finally taken the plunge mate.:)

I'll see how it goes first mate if its going to be cloudy Im not going to go through many batteries, lol

I'll see how it goes first mate if its going to be cloudy Im not going to go through many batteries, lol

It's not just about running out of batteries. When I ran my 8SE goto mount on AA batteries it just lacked... oompf. On a fully charged 12v battery it ran a lot better. I very quickly bought a Maplins 5-in-1 car emergency starter battery, but you have to try not to discharge past 50% and always charge immediately after use otherwise they don't last very long. A proper leisure battery is much better suited as you can safely discharge those a lot more without them going crusty inside.

If you will be at a camp site with a hook-up mains supply you could probably use something like this: 4A 13.8V Fixed output DC regulated power supply (linear mode)

M077155P01WL.jpg

I fancy one of these myself, should do my NEQ6 and dew heating nicely as I park my scope just next to the garage.

Archived