NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coronado PST

MorningMajor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just turn the tuning ring so that the darker band is central on the disk. If you don't see a vague darker band (or seeing the disk appear a little bit darker for one position of the tuning ring) then it may need to be checked out.

I don't see anything darker at all - when I turn the Etalon ring the only noticeable thing I see is that the proms come into view then disappear again - the centre of the sun doesn't appear to change at all - OK,so I've not had much practice,but it is a little worrying

I would agree with Ian, I saw the big surface features very quickly, it was the more subtle granulation which took time to pick out.

I had heard that not all PST's are created equal but had also heard that the contrast on the latest versions was improved.

Stu

Me again!

I had another brief go last night - I caught some dark sun spots - which was a first - but still no surface detail - has anyone got any a focal - non stacked or processed images of what they see through a PST - or, if you have time, could you take a look at the following pictures I've found to see if any of them are what I should be expecting?

Thanks

Link 1

Link 2 (you might need to follow the sun link)

Link 3

Hi MorningMajor

Perhaps that is your problem, observing 'last night'? :)

Seriously though, difficult question to answer accurately. I can only refer to this post.

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?p=2264252

From memory, all this level of detail is available if you are patient and train your eye/brain. The colour is obviously much redder through the PST. Certainly the prominences, filaments and faculae are clear, obviously it depends how active the sun is at the time. If anything, in moments of good seeing it is sharper visually.

The granulation is more tricky and fleeting I would say and depends on fine tuning of focus and etalon, but is there none the less.

I'm sure you will get some more opinions, hope you get to a stage of being satisfied with the views. It may be that the only way to be sure is try another one side by side somehow...

Stu

I agree with the image Ian suggested. That looks about right but through the eyepiece you normally see more contrast and detail than in the image. The red one higher up that same list showing the sunspot is a pretty good match for a higher power view.

Stu,

Yes, lots more detail. Single shot, a focal or projection doesn't really represent what you see at an eyepiece.

I'm also not that far from you MM, so if you want to try mine/let me look through yours, we could sort something out, no worries. :)

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, thought I was going crazy for a moment. Those images look like fairly blank red disks to me, I'm sure I'd get bored pretty quickly if that was all there was to look at!

Stu

Thanks for that guys - interesting - from what you've said I should be seeing more than I am, but so far, I haven't really had a really good clear day to practice (what drought!!)

Stu and Ian, thanks for the offer to compare scopes, that might be well worth doing - are you in Gloucester itself Ian? - where abouts in Surrey are you, Stu - message me if you prefer not to say publicly - Of course, this depends on finding a sunny day!!

Once again - thanks

I had a good session this morning and without double stacking there was a lot of detail. I've just fitted a larger focussing knob which does make a difference. PLayed for ages trying to get the binos to focus but no joy today.

Thanks to Ian and Stu - very kind offers.

Ian, I work down the road in Cirencester, so when I've finished pulling my hair out......!

Well, if you do get really stuck, just give me a yell. I can be in Cirencester in 30mins, no problem. Or meet halfway.

I work from home most days so am flexible. :D

Cheers

Ian

Archived