Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST

MorningMajor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a PST about two months ago.

I seem to have jinxed the weather. darn it.

Anyway, has anyone used the ceemax eyepieces with it? do they make any difference? I can't help but think with a little nudging the surface granulation would come leaping out more easily, but then maybe I just need to pop my new decent planetary eyepiece in there. I wouldn't know how well it word with that yet, the only thing I have seen through it is the dog...

cheers

Kieron

I was tempted to try these but the reviews seem to suggest that they are not much, if any, better than other decent quality ep's. Certainly didn't get any confidence that granulation would be better with them.

Stu

Your dog must shine brightly!!

I would write a correction, but i think i stands better like that...

Anyway thanks all, for the advice, I shall get the decent planetary lens I was considering for the nocturnal astronomy and use that (two birds with one stone and all)

cheers

Kieron

Hi

I actually like the CEMAX lenses, I find them better contrast, easier to use and better eye relief than my Baader orthos in my PST. With everything astronomy, personal views on equipment are great but what works for some doesn't always work for others. You need to really try kit and see if it works for you.

I was fortunate enough to buy a completed used set of CEMAX lenses for $99 on a recent work trip to California. Not sure I would pay £250 for the set but was happy to spend £65 ish. The 25 mm isn't much use as its too low mag, apart from that I use them all the time.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was fortunate enough to buy a completed used set of CEMAX lenses for $99 on a recent work trip to California. Not sure I would pay £250 for the set but was happy to spend £65 ish. The 25 mm isn't much use as its too low mag, apart from that I use them all the time.

Right. I won't go out of my way for them then, but I will keep an eye on ebay.

cheers!

K

Had another go today - in between the cloud cover - got some nice prominences, getting the hang of the focussing - but still can't get any surface detail 0 that could be a focus thing - the edge looks sharp but everything else is just red - doesn't help i guess that there aren't any decent sun spots to use as reference - will carry on practicing - but I do enjoy this!

That doesn't sound good. There was loads of surface detail today, should have been very obvious.

Are you focusing as well as turning the Etalon tuning ring? I tend to focus, then tune, then focus, then tune etc. That seems to work for me.

Cheers

Ian

That doesn't sound good. There was loads of surface detail today, should have been very obvious.

Are you focusing as well as turning the Etalon tuning ring? I tend to focus, then tune, then focus, then tune etc. That seems to work for me.

Now I'm depressed ! I guess it's experience - I hope

Similar to Rik view wise today. White light not very busy, but some excellent detail.

In Ha, I used the supplied 20mm (I always do to get my eye in), detail easily seen, but very smal. Then switched to an 18mm BGO, excellent view, then a cheapo falling apart 11mm Plos and then an 8mm Baader Hyperion (too much mag. today). In all cases, detail easy to see.

If you are not seeing good proms and a good collection of surface detainous hen you tune the Etalon, I would suggest there is something wrong with yours. Even with the supplied EP, you should be seeing real detail on the surface.

Cheers

Ian

I really want to get a solar scope, but am holding off and saving up for a Lunt 60THa. It's really difficult though because I have the cash and wifey approval (encouragement even!) to get a PST now. I am just worried about the 'sweet spot' issue. I think I would rather save up the extra and get a something that is easier to look/image through.

Rik,

I just bought a Lunt 60TPT with feather touch focuser and B1200 blocking filter. I've personally never looked through a PST, so I can only speak from the Lunt perspective, but I am VERY happy with my purchase. The view of the sun is impressive and I would encourage you to hold off on getting a PST if you can get the money together for a Lunt before the transit of Venus. If you won't be able to save enough by then for a Lunt, then a PST is not a bad way to go and you could always turn around and sell it for close to retail when it comes time to upgrade.

Rik,

I just bought a Lunt 60TPT with feather touch focuser and B1200 blocking filter. I've personally never looked through a PST, so I can only speak from the Lunt perspective, but I am VERY happy with my purchase. The view of the sun is impressive and I would encourage you to hold off on getting a PST if you can get the money together for a Lunt before the transit of Venus. If you won't be able to save enough by then for a Lunt, then a PST is not a bad way to go and you could always turn around and sell it for close to retail when it comes time to upgrade.

Cheers Paul. I've compared the views through a PST, Lunt60 and Solarmax II 60. The Lunt is easily my fave but...I have decided that Ha solar viewing is not as much fun as DSO imaging, so a CCD camera takes priority. I turn 40 in October so will get a PST then, and the money I would have put towards the Lunt can go on an Atik 314L+ at Christmas instead :)

I find that it can take up to 30 seconds before my brain can see the low-contrast surface detail with any ease. I've found that to tune the PST before I have the "training" completed, I just turn the tuning ring so that the darker band is central on the disk. If you don't see a vague darker band (or seeing the disk appear a little bit darker for one position of the tuning ring) then it may need to be checked out.

When the darker portion is central, I then rest, while not moving my eye around, and after a little bit the h-alpha surface detail simply pops out at me, and once that happens I can rove around and fine-tune the tuning to my hearts content.

It does take a little bit of time to get the eye used to the monochromatic light.

Had another go today - in between the cloud cover - got some nice prominences, getting the hang of the focussing - but still can't get any surface detail 0 that could be a focus thing - the edge looks sharp but everything else is just red - doesn't help i guess that there aren't any decent sun spots to use as reference - will carry on practicing - but I do enjoy this!

Could this be that you have not got one of the "good" PSTs?

There do seem to be some that do not perform as well as others; perhaps you could return it to your supplier and exchange it for another one?

Keith, early days.....

As mentioned, getting the eye retrained to see the Ha detail takes practice; as does the co-ordination of the focus and tuning...the "Vegemite Precise Focus" certainly can help. A 10mm eyepiece works well...

Archived