SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light(s) with SW 250px dob

wulfrunian

Not exactly my first sessions with this kind of scope, but a rediscovery. I "upgraded" from a 250px dob to a goto version 18 months ago, and guess what, hardly used it as didn't enjoy the faff of setting up and electrics, and missed the fun of star hopping. So, the goto was ebay'd, and I took delivery of a shiny new 250px from FLO, and managed a couple of sessions so far.

First one was at the local dark sky site last week. Unfortunately, anything faint was washed out by haze, which intermittently thickened to proper cloud, but we still took advantage of the huge skies there to catch some brighter objects. Jupiter showed great detail, with all four moons also on view, despite the low altitude and haze. Venus was beautifully clear at just under half phase. Mars kept coming and going in the cloud, but glimpsed it from time to time. And later on Saturn emerged from the gloom, always a lovely sight. We also enjoyed the moon, a few double stars, the Pleiades and the Beehive cluster.

Then last night was my first chance to get out into the back garden with it, with the family also having a look. Crisp views of the Moon and also Mars showing detail this time. Had a look at a few doubles again (I like doubles!) and then Saturn peeked out from above a neighbouring roof, so stole the show again. Finished by spotting Vega low in the north, so swung the scope over there - very pretty twinkling with multicolours - and while I was there, split the double double at x120, a sign summer is on the way!!

All in all, so so glad that I swapped back to this scope, it's such a great piece of kit. And I made money on the transaction, enough to place an order with FLO for a Moonlite focuser :) If anyone is still considering a dob but isn't sure, go for it!!

Nice report. I've got a goto dob, but I love it, primarily because I can still star hop and find things myself but then have it track to keep what I've found in view. I bagged 45 Messiers in a few hours at SGL7 with it and had a great time. And when I just want show people stuff then I move the scope near the object and then goto for final accuracy.

All dobs are great fun!!

Helen

Archived