Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic accessories to get with scope?

Having finally decided to get a proper scope instead of faffing about trying to use my camera gear as a scope, I'm just about to order a 200p on an EQ5 Goto.

However, having currently no scope accessories at all, I'm wondering what are the minimum required extras I need to get at the same time.

I can think of the following -

• Collimation tool
  • Dew shield
  • Power supply (Maplin seem to keep getting a mention as a good source for this - is that correct?)

Have I missed anything?

(My search-fu is weak today as I'm sure this question must have been asked before, but I can't find it.)

Yes if it's the EQ5 Synscan GOTO then you'll need a decent power supply, personally I use a Maplin bench supply that provides a regulated 12v supply at 10amp. This powers the scope, dew straps etc. You'll not need the 10amp version, 5amp will be fine.

Having a 200P means you'll not need a dew prevention system, so save your money. Just remember to put the covers back on the finder once you've found your target. I've only had a newt dew up once and on those nights even powered dew straps start to struggle.

Collimation tool is a must for a reflector.

Cheers

Ant

collimator (dont get a cheap lazer, either a manual cheasure or a hotec!)

red torch or but a cheap ASDA £1.99 and cover the front in red plastic (on produce look for the british apples the plastic which they will frely give you will have red on there:P)

moon filter or a First Light Optics - Baader Neodymium Filter it works great as a moon filter and as a LP filter. it also increases contrast of what ever your looking at :)

somthing to write your observations onto pukka pad or an observation log (theres free ones on tinterweb)

i would say a maplin box with foam for everything like eyepeices and filters

dont get any eyepeices yet as its best to find out what you feel with the oens you got, but a good start would be the vixen NPL maybe a 30mm for really widefield. see if you can borrow or have a go at other peoples eyepeices to find what suits you, but a good hint, televue plossles usally go for around 30 - 70 second hand.

camera blower to remove dust and debries from any optical services :) probally got one if you have a camera,

see about getting a telrad, fantastic devices helpful for finding objects in the sky, better than the sights usally with scopes, and lastly and most important

a good book, like a sky atlas, turn left at orions really good, or the phillips astronomy pack :o

Thanks for the responses.

I've already got a fair few 'off scope' accessories, red torch, etc. and by the sounds of it I don't need the dew shield so it might just be the power supply and collimator for the moment.

Eyepieces, filters, etc. can come later.

What about a Bahtinov focus mask as an early/immediate purchase?

Hi, Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas by Roger W. Sinnott is top notch, thoroughly recommended. A cheshire collimation tool is also recommended and a +1 for the Baader Neodynium fliter as well, superb all-round filter.

This site has printable logs, DSO lists, Lunar maps, etc - all free :)

Astronomy Logbooks and Booklets for the Astronomical League Observing Clubs

Download Stellarium - it'll show you what's viewable in the night sky and help you in finding your way around. It's also free.

Other than that, a planisphere is portable and cheap and will show you what's on view.

A red light torch is a must to preserve your night adapted vision.

Make yourself a collimation cap out of a 35mm film canister and get yourself a cheshire too.

A decent star atlas when you're ready.

A moon filter if you're planning to do lunar observation.

One of these will save you having to run mains power out to the scope:

5-in-1 Jump Starter with Portable Power : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics

Unless you are planning on deep sky imaging with it (in which case you probably need a bigger mount), you won't need a Bahtinov mask. Focussing by eye is fine for visual. I would say that a dew shield would be a good accessory. I find the secondaries quite prone to dew on SkyWatcher Newts, but one can quite cheaply be made from a rolled up bit of camping mat and some tape. They also help to block stray light and improve contrast (apparently!), I use it for dew control.

One of these will save you having to run mains power out to the scope:

5-in-1 Jump Starter with Portable Power : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics

Have you used one of these or is it a case of "this sort of thing"?

The area of power supplies seems, for some reason, to be one that doesn't have all the detailed information and descriptions/recommendations that practically all other bits of 'hardware' do.

iv got a aldis one which is similar to the maplins, basacally you want a good quaility 12v car jump starter or similar. the power leade will have a fuse in it:)

be careful though as when using a 12v mains power supply there isnt a fuse it seems so it damages the motherboard inside to save the rest of the mount

Archived