Nothing important. Just musings, observations, rants from a beginner.

uyotg

Thanks for clicking through to this thread, but I don't want to disappoint you so I'll you right now that this is probably nothing new or useful. I just wanted to write down somewhere my experiences, and what better place than here.

Well I'm about three weeks into stargazing with my new telescope. Progress has been slow, but I have been having fun. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Lower magnifications are a lot more fun and cooler than higher magnifications.
  2. Buy all the accessories you can from a place that lets you return them. It's the only way you can figure out best what you need independently.
  3. Beginners' expectations are probably way too high after being conditioned to all those Hubble photographs.
  4. Carry a reflector on an EQ mount by the telescope barrel. Keeps the center of gravity below the carry point and makes it easier to transport.
  5. I need to take dark adapation more seriously.
  6. I need to figure sort out this whole nebula filter thing. Nebula? Light pollution? Same thing? Different thing? Different types of nebula?
  7. Wow, so that's what the big dipper looks like. And it really is big!

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for clicking through to this thread, but I don't want to disappoint you so I'll you right now that this is probably nothing new or useful. I just wanted to write down somewhere my experiences, and what better place than here.

Well I'm about three weeks into stargazing with my new telescope. Progress has been slow, but I have been having fun. Here's what I've learned so far:

[*]Lower magnifications are a lot more fun and cooler than higher magnifications.

With Deep sky stuff yes I agree (mostly), for planets you do need to ramp up the magnifications!

[*]Buy all the accessories you can from a place that lets you return them. It's the only way you can figure out best what you need independently.

Mmmm I agree with a try before you buy (not sure that should be funded by the retailer though), star parties and local astro societies are great places to look through and try out stuff that you don't know you want yet :)

[*]Beginners' expectations are probably way too high after being conditioned to all those Hubble photographs.

Couldn't agree more, in fact when anyone asks me what they are likely to see through a scope I point them to the Sketched section here on SGL.

[*]Carry a reflector on an EQ mount by the telescope barrel. Keeps the center of gravity below the carry point and makes it easier to transport.

I find it a lot easier to leave the scope on the mount (as you suggested) but lean in and position the EQ head on my shoulder - so the scope is effectively behind me. While gripping the legs. Put the centre of gravity roughly on your shoulders and you place no stress onto your back while carrying.

[*]I need to take dark adapation more seriously.

Become an imager, then you don;t really have to worry about that :). Seriously consider a pirates eye patch for when you have to go indoors (or turn a light on).

[*]I need to figure sort out this whole nebula filter thing. Nebula? Light pollution? Same thing? Different thing? Different types of nebula?

Nebula and light pollution (luckily) are completely different and consist of different wavelengths of light. You can buy Light Pollution filters that block the horrible orange glow from the Low power Sodium lights. When you get one, take it out at night and hold it up to your eye and look at a street light (assuming that it's one of the orange ones) it'll all but disappear! Honest :o

[*]Wow, so that's what the big dipper looks like. And it really is big!

Wait till you go to a really dark site - you can't see the constellations for stars!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Ant

2. Buy all the accessories you can from a place that lets you return them. It's the only way you can figure out best what you need independently.

The ability to return goods to online suppliers is part of the contract they agree to when they sell at a distance (mail order/internet). You can cancel the contract within 7 days of receipt and return the goods to them (after inspection). Unless they inform you otherwise, they are responsible for ALL postage costs. They can however make it part of the contract that you pay return postage by informing you beforehand.

Some seem to think this is an unfair burden on retailers, but the consumer needs to be able to inspect goods which they pay for and then decide whether they want them. Retailers are well aware of this and have agreed to be bound by it, though most won't inform you, even though they're bound by law to do so (you're also protected against this)

Internet, mail order and telephone shopping : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

3. Beginners' expectations are probably way too high after being conditioned to all those Hubble photographs.

So true. Unless you have a big light bucket is does seem to lack colour somewhat!

Welcome to your lifelong astronomical money pit. :-)

Dew ! I had ice on mine. Hadn't noticed the whole scope was glazed like a gressingham duck. I was amazed that I could still see through the Rigel finder, it was like the windows on a passenger plane, all snow flaked with ice crystals.

One more. Keep a careful eye out for where you put stuff in your haste to get the perfect view or you find you kicking your lens cases all over a pitch black site and stamping on your iPad/ leaving it on the roof of the car.

Archived