Did I buy the right scope.....?

Hi all, I'm brand new this very evening so please be gentle! Finally have time now in my life to try my hand at some stargazing and fulfil a desire that has burnt for many years.

So therefor, and due for delivery tommorrow I have purchased a skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 150mm newtonian reflector telescope. Seemed to be well reviewed and came in at the right price for me just to get going. Hope to view as much as the scope will allow me and moving forward I'd love to take some pictures of whatever I find out there!

Thoughts on this scope and any tips wpuld be greatly recieved.

Chris :icon_salut:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great package and should work well for viewing, planetary imaging and DSO imaging with a DSLR (if you can obtain focus).

There is a large group of 150p owners on here with loads of experience

My first scope was a 150P EQ3-2 - it's a smashing scope to start with - has plenty of aperture and works a treat for most popular objects. There's a short learning curve to using an eq mount for the first time and getting used to how it moves - but it should serve you well for several years.

Once you've used it for a few months it will benefit from a couple of eyepiece upgrades and a decent barlow - or alternatively a good 8-24 zoom lens and a wide field low power (30mm+) eyepiece for a good range of viewing options.

Congrats and enjoy :icon_salut:

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your new scope.

I have the same combination of mount and OTA and love it, you'll get some great views with it.

You've got it at just the right time for some real WOW moments with Saturn just coming up for viewing at a sensible time, you can't fail to be impressed the first time you see this wonder of our solar system.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks guys....it's like xmas eve when ya 7 years old right now! Seems the sky may clear down here (south coast) tomoz too, so it'll get its first outing!

HAPPY DAYS!

Where on the South coast are you?

I'm near Portsmouth in Hampshire.....therefor far enough away from the snow so as to remain blameless! Also my scope hasn't arrived yet so I'm defo in the clear! Can't wait to get crcking with it

Nice scope! Once you get your head round the Equatorial Mount thing it gets way easier. Then harder again! But stick with it and you'll have a great time. Patience is probably the thing I use most in my observing. Cheers, Chris.

ITS ARRIVED!!

Steady 45 mins to put it all together and balance.....the sky outside is BLUE BLUE BLUE! Very much hoping it stays that way!

Have to say it looks the nuts! 'Err indoors wasn't quite as overwhelmed as me (GOOD), thankfully I got her a new washing machine a few weeks ago so all is as it should be :icon_salut:

C

In terms of alignment, if you are just doing visual you can be reasonably coarse. I just plonk the scope wherever looks good then go behind it, grab the back two feet one in each hand and look up at polaris. I then just move the feet until my brain tells me that the scope is pointing correctly at polaris... its quite surprising how well this works!

In terms of alignment, if you are just doing visual you can be reasonably coarse. I just plonk the scope wherever looks good then go behind it, grab the back two feet one in each hand and look up at polaris. I then just move the feet until my brain tells me that the scope is pointing correctly at polaris... its quite surprising how well this works!

Hey that's cool! Wish you could just do that for AP as well.

Thought it only right to report in....and its still as clear as Gin here!!!

And so......I am lost for words! Felt like I could reach out and touch the moon, STUNNING view. CLose to 95% illumination tonight! Even the missus loved it!

Great start to my new hobby!

Cheers all

Archived