NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lodestar to OAG connection

blinky

I'm swapping my QHY5 or a Lodestar and am wondering what way to connect it to my TS OAG9. The options are:

Lodestar C Thread > T Thread adapter - Advantage, it's all screwed down securely

1.25" Adaptet to T Thread, the Lodestar would slide up and down and a prafocal ring would be placed at focus point - Advantage, lots more room for focusing but is it secure enough???

I use the C mount -Tthread adapter with my Lodestar on my SXOAG. Very secure. I also got one of those plastic widgets from Teleskop service to hold the cables. Expensive but worth every penny in security of connection

Be very careful with the Lodestar cable connections. Telescope Service do a nylon cable guide just for this camera. It helps maintain good contact, which can be an issue. I loop my cables over and tape them round the camera but that isn't possible on the Yvesmobile.

Olly

I can understand the concensus that screwing the Lodestar onto the thread is probably the best solution but when I did this and the Lodestar was tight the CCD chip was never square on to the light path coming out of the support pillar hole from the prism. I've gone with the 1.25" adaptor which grips the lodestar as if it was an eyepiece and can now get all the CCD illuminated. Had no issues with actual Lodestar flexure.

Andy

I use the Lodestar with a parfocal locking ring in the 1.25" guide port for the spectroscope.

Works well, but if I get the chance I'll add another locking screw to the 1.25" adaptor, at 120 degree to the existing but just off-set (axially) to improve the location.

Archived