Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn, Camcorder & EP

Tim

Same method as Venus pic, Sony Handycam screwed onto a Hyperion zoom EP, just filming what the camera sees.

My best result so far using this method really, helped no doubt by the fact that the conditions were pretty good at the time (27 March 2012)

Thanks for looking.

Tim

post-14037-133877757199_thumb.jpg

Tim, I have a Canon camcorder, do I remove the lens as one would do with a webcam for imaging planets?

It's a decent cam. though, and I don't want to ruin it, I would want to replace the lens later.

Ron.

No Ron, you might be able to get an adapter for it, so that it goes onto an EP.

I did think of removing the lens, but likewise dont want to spoil a working camera.

No Ron, you might be able to get an adapter for it, so that it goes onto an EP.

I did think of removing the lens, but likewise dont want to spoil a working camera.

Thanks mate. Effective Afocal imaging with a camcorder. I like the Idea. If I can find a suitable adaptor, I shall try some lunar stuff with my 6" f8 Achro frac.

Ron.

For the Sony camera, it has a 37mm screw thread on the front. For this I got a 37 to m42 adapter, and from that to the m43 adapter for the hyperion eyepiece.

With the live view image on screen the detail available to the eye is impressive, and the moving picture helps the brain translate the detail I think. Just a shame my camcorder compresses the data into mpeg, uncompressed it could be more useful.

At any rate the steps I use to convert from mpeg to avi to jpeg went like this:

Mpeg2 > Virtualdub > deinterlace (keep both fields) > save as avi > avistack 2 > all auto settings (lazy :icon_salut:)

Hmm, not sure it would be better Ron, what sort of results are you getting with it?

The real beauty of using a camcorder with a live colour preview screen is that you can easily see the results on screen without spending a long time at the eyepiece (spot the imager!). And the colours are rendered easily as well I guess.

The DMK is a Mono Tim, and it's only been used on terrestrial work, via my ED80, so although the images are on my Computer screen, and very good, they can't be used as a guide to assess what astro. results might be, although the camera has a good rep. on Lunar and Planetary. I was hoping to give it an airing on the Moon this lunation, but the weather has gone filthy up here again.

Looking across towards Eskdalemuir from my Computer room window, I can see the hills covered in snow. Orrible :icon_salut:.

Ron.

Archived