Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

just spotted this

dean w

The Celestron zoom EP is a lot better than the

Sky Watcher one.The last one on Ebay, sold

for about £60.I have got one & i am very pleased

with it .The Mead one is about the best for the

price, £105 ,if you can find somebody that has

got one in stock.I paid £74 , new for mine.

It works very well.

I've had both the Celestron and Skywatcher 8-24 and apart from the orange lettering they were the same eyepiece. Nothing wrong with that as they are pretty good for the price. I suggest you do what i did, put a wanted ad on AB&S and pick one up for £35.

There are two very different Celestron 8-24 zooms out there. The earlier one made by Vixen (was £129.00 new) which is a very good zoom and the later one now being sold that is simply the same as the SkyWatcher zoom. Not bad really for the price I suppose but not that great either.

The one in the eBay link though is unfortunately the later one.

John

The Baader zoom is a bit better than the Meade, the Pentax is better still, but fairly expensive. The Telescope Service HR Planetary zoom is also very good (close to the Baader).

Meade 8-24 zooms can usually be picked up fairly cheaply second hand though.

John

I own one of these and wouldn't recommend it because it gives everything a slight blue tinge, when compared to my other eyepieces.

Plus it feels like you're peering through a drainpipe when looking through it. If that makes sense.

Archived