Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Rosette - 7 Hours of data - Modded 1000D

Bizibilder

The first 2.5 hours of this image were posted here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/181167-rosette-nebula-first-light-modded-1000d.html

And I have now managed to add a further 5 hours for a total of 7 hours of data over three nights (18, 21, 22 March 2012). There has had to be a slight crop due to my not being able to align the camera perfectly! On two of the three nights there was some haze about and I think that this does show up in the crispness of the image (or rather lack of it!).

So 83x5min lights to give 6h 55min along with flats and darks. Modded Canon 1000D ISO 800, ED120APO with reducer and SW LP filter. Processed in DSS and PSCS5. HEQ5 mount, QHY5/finder guiding and EQMOD/ CdC mount control.

Upper image is reduced slightly from full size, the other resized for forums :

RosetteNebula7hoursdata.jpg

RosetteNebula7hoursdataSmall.jpg

Now that has some really great bits, where the signal is strong. You could lose that colour noise in the faint stuff very easily, too. If you have Pixinsight use SCNR set to green, because you have a lot of green noise there. If you don't have PI then you can dopwnload Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Hasta La Vista Green which is free and would nail it, I guess.

This has more to give, I'm certain.

Olly

Oh wow, yes, that has cleaned up the background no end. This is a super image. It is all a matter of getting enough data if you want quality.

Another background trick that can work in Ps is going into Image, Adjust, Match Colour , Colour Intensity and then (having colour selected the background sky) reducing the intensity and checking the box marked 'neutralize.' You may need to do this to a copy layer and apply it partially if you try it.

Olly

Olly

No problem Alpal! Could you say what you did? It would be useful to know.

Yes -

I used many layers - including an HDR toning layer.

( available in Photoshop CS5 64 bit )

This increased the contrast between brighter areas to dig out the

detail in dynamic range.

I used a reveal all layer after on your original & a

the paintbrush tool to decrease the bright stars

back to the way you had them.

I used a layer mask to smart sharpen filter only the bright areas

& another reduce noise layer mask to smooth out the

noisy areas.

I made another layer with colours re-adjusted.

All 5 layers were then adjusted in opacity to create the final

image.

It was then reduced in size & posted on this forum.

I could have done a much better job with the original stack.

Archived