Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky trip?

swamp thing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm up for this weekend, it's long overdue!

Conditions are looking good tonight on MET and sat24, will make a post but anybody up for tonight too? Must be my first chance since end of Jan or was it early Feb, I can'rt remember it's been that long!

would of thought dark sites wouldnt be to far from you swamp thing, maybe get past banstead and it would be quite reasonable.

Err no! LP from London extends about a hundred or so miles.

You need to get at least 30miles away to get even half decent dark skies. Banstead has hideous LP. Anywhere inside the M25 is just a no-no as a dark sky site of any real use.

Darren. I'll be up for RC later. I'll see you up there.

Wasn't suggesting we do dark skies tonight but my weather AP's saying Friday night will be clear (at the moment).

Haha i wasnt suggesting ti would compare to snowdonia or the scottish highlands or anything, just thought that maybe that little band between the banstead and reigate areas might prove a lot better than the usual city limits.

Haha i wasnt suggesting ti would compare to snowdonia or the scottish highlands or anything, just thought that maybe that little band between the banstead and reigate areas might prove a lot better than the usual city limits.

RC is in the band you refer too and is about as good as it gets nearby, still only about 5VLM though. So for the dark skies I'm referring too at the top of the thread a little further fields travel is required.:)

Regards Steve

Sounds good. Is that the place just the other side of Pulborough? If so, I'll work on the pass :)

Sure is.

We will probably be meeting at the Roman Villa there, as most will be able to find that as its marked from the main road.

Let's just hope the weather holds.:)

It's looking a bit hazy here at the moment.;)

Let's hope things improve.

It may well be a case of suck it and see tonight. Unless it gets cloudy first.:)

Was thinking of meeting around 9:00ish if that's ok with everyone?

Kadvenc we will be meeting at the Roman Villa near Bignor.

If you don't know where that is send me a PM and I'll send you the position.:)

Ok, I know where it is. I will have to turn up later than 9. Is the observing spot near to the villa or will I need to go scouting for red torches? I won't have access to SGL until after 9pm or otherwise I give a sky report before you decided to leave.

Hi Steve,

How steep & bumpy is it? We have a fairly low slung car. Is it close by or too far to lug a 200p and all the stuff that goes with it.

I may have to rethink - especially as the sky isn't looking too clever.

Archived