NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommend a diagonal and mount for C 100 ED

Hey all,

I managed to buy a C100ED for a great 2nd hand price! Can't wait to get it :)

I have an az4 which I was planning on setting it up with, would this be suitable? The reason I ask this is because I think it might be a bit over kill and I want this setup as a more of a grab and go. Would it be managable on a vixen porta for example?

2nd question who can recommend a good 2" diagonal? I don't want to spend up to the price of televue stuff, but something well made and very secure for my eps'.

I was looking at the revelation 2" quartz diagonal, but I don't think anywhere is going to have any in stock till the next century... If you know of a place, let me know!

Thanks,

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Revelation 2" with my ED120 and it's excellent. I have one of the Tele Vue Everbrights on my other refractor but the Revelation seems just a good in optical terms at least.

I don't think the Vixen Porta will be happy with the tube length of the ED100 - I'd stick with the AZ-4.

Edit: The William Optic 2" Dielectric is also very good but does cost more £'s than the Revelation. That's probably why the latter is sold out at the moment :)

Oh really John? Its just I had Robin (rwilkey

say it was okay because I asked him about it because he has the setup, unless I have got something wrong?

I can only speak from my experience Adam. I've owned an ED100, the Vixen Porta (Mk 1) and the AZ-4 mounts. The Vixen was OK with my Vixen ED102SS but that scope is an F/6.5 and lighter and shorter than the ED100.

I'm not saying the ED100 was unusable on the Porta but that I just was not happy with it when the magnification got over around 130x or so. I put it down to the aluminum legs of the Porta mount not being able to fully absorb the moment arm force that the longer tube generates. They have a tendency to twist.

But as the saying goes "Your mileage may vary" :)

I would probably agree with John. I don't have experience of the AZ mounts in question but I do have experience of the C100ED. The focuser can be tuned but as with any R&P it requires that little bit more effort to focus than a crayford and if you add vibration into the mix due to too lighter mount you may find you are restricted to lower power observing. Regards the diagonal I have a WO Dielectric and it is a very nice diagonal but be aware that the focal point becomes a little on the short side and could become a problem for some EP's like BGO's for one. Thought I'd mention it on the off chance you came across one S/H :)

I can completely see where you are coming from there John, I shall consider things some more. The last thing I want is twisting aluminium legs :) I like the rigidity of the az4 thats for sure, I reckon it could handle 120mm at times.

Perhaps the vixen porta mark II vastly improved the supporting weight it can hold. Maybe we could have a play around at SGL7, look forward to seeing you there

The Vixen Porta II works well with the C100ED, good grab and go, and very rigid. I also bought the SW Diagonal here: First Light Optics - Skywatcher 2" Deluxe Di-Electric Star Diagonal and would rcommend this from experience, cracking views.

I bet it weights a lot less than the az4. That skywatcher diagonal, is there a fitting for 1.25 and 2" eyepieces, are they both compression ring fit? Thanks

Now your just being a show off. Wish mine had a DS :):D;)

Ha it may not be as great as you think, the seller told me the normal focus is a tiny bit gritty so I am going to take it all apart and see what I can do. It was a worthwhile purchase though at a great price

I find the AZ-4 is OK for short sessions with the ED120 on the standard 1.75" steel tube tripod. It gets better with the 2" steel tripod of the CG5 but I still prefer it on my Giro-type Ambermille alt-az mount where it is very solid indeed. Thats the one I'm bringing to the SGL7 star party tomorrow, all being well :)

I notice that the Porta II is being discussed here. My personal experience is with the Porta I so it's quite possible that the II has a a higher capacity.

Archived