Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a new hobby for life ?- 200p owner

Although I've always had an interest in space I only really took this hobby up since Christmas and I can't believe in the short time I've been involved what a great time I'm having with this.

To start with I think I just got lucky to some extent and bought the right scope ( a 200p dob) - its just so easy to use. Lately with the help of some of the forum members (cheers Bart) I've managed to make a setting circle which has helped enormously and now I'm starting to tick off Messier objects that never fail to have the wow factor for me.

I've met some great guys in the S Wales group and been out with them and am looking forward to new meets in the future and been to my first dark site and seen the Milky Way for the first time.

In work since I've bored everyone to death with my exploits we've set up a new observing group for the first time - I'm not sure any of us knew there was a common interest between quite a few of the employees (theres over 600 of us) but it looks like this is going to take off aswel.

So all in all after a few short months I'm getting ever more involved in this hobby and perhaps the one single best thing I ever did in this respect was joining this forum - so for anyone like me just getting started - read, talk to people and most of all enjoy yourself - this is such a great learning hobby.

Enough gushing I'm off outside to see if the clouds have disappeared. ;)

Nice one Steve. I know how you feel. I only started in November last year and have worked my way up from a 76mm newt to my current 127 sw mak.

I normally joke with my friends about my latest fads but this does seem to be sticking. I am finding myself reading up a lot about it and even enjoying asking questions on here and even now answering a few.

Haven't met anyone else yet to go observing with except my mate who got me into this but am looking at local clubs just now.

My latest big achievement for me has been to finally understand polar aligning my mount. I feel like a champion lol.

I'm sure we've got many years ahead of enjoying all things sky :-D

Cheers Boabsta - its an odd thing isn't it - observing in your garden which is where I guess 90% of people spend most of their time is a pretty solitary experience - just the night sky a few owls and you which is great but then just going out with a few others to share the experience is brilliant as well. Not sure I'm at the stage where I want to join an astronomical society yet - just enjoy going with local groups- its pretty informal and everyones so helpful.

A local group is what I need. I live in a flat so I have to go to dark scary places to see anything. I do have a mate to go with but we both work shifts so can't always make it when each other wants to go so a few more numbers in the phone book would be a bonus. I think a proper astronomical society would scare me and I don't the her indoors would allow me to go that far lol. She is tolerant at the moment which is cool but that will wear thin when the dark comes later at night and I'm out longer.

Time shall tell.

I'm with you Steve , my first post stated I didn't want a dob ,because of the responses I got a dob and so glad I did , its so easy just drop and view , if I'd have got a goto I reckon I'd have hardly been out due to setting up a tripod , aligning , wire it up etc and then putting it away again .... +1 for the dob. But the tripod will come one day no doubt.

Totally agree about this forum.

It has inspired me to "get my act together". For example; planning what I am going to see, writing reports up.....boring people to death etc. ;)

I have had my scope for two and a half years but up until the last six months or so, I used to aimlessly look at a limited list of thirty or so objects.

Since joining, I have located my first two asteroids, over 50 galaxies and nearly 130 deep sky objects in total.

If I had to pick three favourite new finds over this time, I would go for;

1. M64 the Black Eye galaxy, one of only a handful that is more than just a wisp. Texture and shape and very easy to find and see.

2. M97 the Owl nebula. I wasn't expecting much but with my Baader UHC-s filter it was a doddle. It's difficult reputation is now in tatters!

3. NGC 4631 the Whale galaxy. Another of the few galaxies that I can at least see some definate shape to it. Easy to see, harder to find.

Two of these (1 and 3) form part of the immense fun I have had in Galaxyland. Thank you to Leo, Virgo, Coma, Canes V, Ursa M and all the lesser known constellations for just being there!

Hi Edski - well its a sort of poor mans go to system which is basically a large compass segmented to show 360 degrees. - theres a few different variations and ways to do it but if you look at the picture below this is how I set up my Dob (although the numbers should run anticlockwise not clockwise as I show below)

All you do then is buy a wixey which measures verticle angles (costs about £25) use either Stellarium or your android phne- skeye is the app I use - to look for a Messier M81 for example it wioll give you azimuth settings in degrees and then altitude which you use the wixey for- move the Dob to the desired settings- and hey presto M81 in your eye piece- genius - and really easy despite my ramblings - hope you enjoy your new scope Edski - it really is a great one.

stevetynant-albums-gear-picture16234-feb-12-054.jpg

That, is genius!!!

I'm onto this. 2 questions: where did you mount the wixey? (I've never heard of this, off to google in a moment), and please explain why the horziontal numbers should go anti-clockwise not clockwise as you've done? ;)

Cool, i kinda get what your saying.. It you end up unscrewing the base & flipping it to get it running clockwise? - Why the compass? Where do you mount that wixy thing to get a reading?

Sorry for the questions!!

Hi guys -like I said theres more than one way of doing this but doing it the way I have means you don't have to mark your scope or drill holes in it at all so if later down the line when your trading in for the local hubble scope its as good as new.

The wixey is basically a small magnetic cube with a digital read out - you just plonk it on the top of the tube it sticks with the magnets and as you angle the scope upwards its still secured and gives the alt reading - easy.

The numbers I only found out about when I;d created the circle and got it all laminated then found out in practice it was pointing in the wrong direction all the time - so now when I need to work out azimuth and stellarium says 10 degrees I have to do the math 360 minus 10 degrees= needle needs to point to 350 degrees whereas if I just annoyed them in work a bit more and got it printed the other way so the numbers run anti clockwise- when stellarium or your I phone says 10 degrees the needle only needs to point to 10 degrees- I'm sure theres a scientific explanation for it- all I know is I messed it up but found a work around- if you are doing it from scratch print them anticlockwise if you use this design (there are others if you search the net) - and you don't need to flip the base at all - trust me it is easy.

The Compass is only on there because you need to align your scope North first so the needle or pointer that sits on the floor (I'll take a photo and show you tomorrow if I have 5 minutes- its very simple at the moment - a big paper clip in between a few small pieces of wood although I'm working on a spring loaded version for the future) is set at zero when the scope points North. In my front garden I can't see polaris so this is what I use- in the back garden I have a lazer (costs about £8) which I rest against the spotting scope and turn the whole Dob mount until the lazer hits the North star - then move the needle to zero degrees-job done easy again

I know this might sound confusing the way I'm explaining it and if I show some photos tomorrow it should become clearer- - take it from me - if I can do it anyone can.

Thanks for the write up, much appreciated :) not at all confusing, I get what you're saying completely, and it's where I want to go with mine :)

I am looking at this:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I presume that is about right for inclination? Just a shame the display isn't backlit really.

And will also get a digital compass I think, seem pretty cheap really!

Did you say you got the compass print out from work? I'm trying to work out a way of going about it, thought about CNC but tricky and expensive. Where do you work out of interest!? Is it something they'd be willing to sell possibly if it was put anti-clockwise? ;)

Hi Clouder - that is a wixey but I don't think I paid that for mine Digital Angle Gauge Protractor Inclinometer Wixey NEW | eBay there you go - I'm not sure what the difference is between the two but thats the one use anyway.

I can't ask the guys in work to print out more I'm hacking them off asking myself - I did it again today to get the anti clockwise version I'm afraid

there are programs you can design them yourself with - search setting circle in the forum - people put them on memory sticks and take them to staples to print for a few pound I think. - I'm just wondering if the digital compass worked whether you'd need one at all really - perservere though its a really great aid- have a look on the DIY section on this site theres loads of people have done it - later on I'll try and get you some links to help so you can see what others have done- like I say theres not just one way of doing this.

funny ,ive gone the other way. up until a week or so ago, i would be out almost every chance i could grasp. and didnt care if i spent 1 hour or 2 hours just locating an object.

then after one night i came in after a fruitless night,and ive struggled since.

dont know if its a blip or i need to up the appeture a little or what.

i keep saying " whats the point of spotting a tiny blur that looks pretty much like the last blur,just to tick a list .

not sure what im going to do yet,but im either going to sell my small amount of kit and jack it in , or improve the scope and start venturing out for darker skies.

one thing i would concur with on this thread though, the forum is a fantastic source of information and banter.long live s.g.l

well the boys in our facilities dept did one for me but there are a lot of other ideas about this - check these out

Setting Circles - You are not logged in

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/104796-inclinometer-setting-circles-diy-feasible.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html

Sky-Watcher SkyLiner 200 Dobsonian Telescope

theres load of information on them on this and other forums- once you understand whats possible should be pretty easy depending on what design type you go for

hope it helps and good luck

• 1 year later...

I found a couple of files on the web that print out as two A4 sheets, with three segments of the setting circle on each.

Printed out on glossy photo paper, cut out the segments and stuck them to dob base (the numbers go clockwise)..hey presto... zero cost setting circle! Very Blue Peter.

All that was needed was a small cutout on the top part of the base to show the scale.

Short strip of steel (the sort with predrilled screw holes for joining wood) next to the cutout and a bent red paper clip glued to a magnet became a movable pointer for fine calibration.

Archived