Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 90mm Refractor Review

Alkaid

Hi

thanks for thie review Steve. I have been chewing over getting a scope with a bit more focal length primarily for lunar observation. Given that a an EQ mount is really good here once you start to use a bit of magnification, I find the Evo 90 of interest. I figured I could use it on my CG3 which has been modded a little to make it more stable.

That said I notice you have an 805 Tal1 - which also interests me for the same reason. This begs the question - how do the two compare. The two should not be that dissimilar bit wondered if the Tal optics win out?

thanks

Ian

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, how did you find the EQ2 mount with the scope, I wondered how stable it seemed? I might be looking for a low cost mount for the Megrez in the new year, rather than using it with the EQ5 for visual.

Hi Catweazel,

Well, the EQ2 isn't too bad to be honest with the 90mm frac. It falls down slightly when focusing at high power, there is some wobble there. But I was able to focus at 180 power without too much trouble. Once you have it focused, it's ok when using the RA hand control, and much better when using the RA drive. The image stays in position without issue. But I would anticipate a few wobble issues when trying to use the set up on a breezy evening.

That said I notice you have an 805 Tal1 - which also interests me for the same reason. This begs the question - how do the two compare. The two should not be that dissimilar bit wondered if the Tal optics win out?

thanks

Ian

Hi Alfian,

Annoyingly the TAL-1 model I have is an old one, meaning I can't use universal 1.25" eyepieces. I have to use the stock TAL ones. The low power plossl eyepiece is good, the shorter focal length Kellner is not as good, but still useable. I can't use the same eyepieces to compare between the two...there is a mod you can do, but to be honest I want to keep it as it is...

On the moon, I would say that the difference between the TAL and the Evo is that the Evo delivers slightly sharper images, but with slight blue hues. The TAL is still sharp, but completely colour free.

On the planets, the Evo beats the TAL every time. I can't see the polar cap of Mars with the TAL, but I can see it with the Evo. See below for what happened over Xmas with Jupiter... The design of the refractor (un-obstructed aperture, longer focal ratio) does give it a superior planetary performance. But the TAL is a much better all rounder, as it has sightly bigger aperture and star clusters and DSO's are slightly brighter.

Ok, over Xmas....had an amazing time on Xmas day night with the Evo. Waited for Jupiter to get to max altitude. Seeing was excellent, hardly a wobble. Six (yes six!) belts spotted. Dark barge spotted in NEB. Gallileon moons were tiny circles! Then spotted that Io (I was not sure which moon it was at the time, no Stellarium, had to ask someone on here) was getting very close to the Jovian disc. I expected to see it disappear behind - but it went in front! So waited another half hour, and saw the moon shadow of Io begin to transit the disc. A perfect dark tiny circle imposed upon the cloud belts. Amazing! With a 90mm scope!! The Evo 90 is a bit of a dark horse.....

Thank you so very much Mountainman , I have a friend who is looking to get his first scope and like most of us he aint got much money , I showed him this thread and your video and I think he is sold , here in Australia the same scope is about $250 aud , a bargain .

Hope your Mum is happy using here lovely new scope , if Dad will let her :laugh: ,

So thanks again for a top review of a great scope .

I remember when I upgraded from my 2nd 60mm f15 frac to a Skywatcher 100mm f10 frac , mate what a differance so much more seen at any given magnification , I have since given that excellent 100mm to a young member of my old astro society in NZ before I moved here to OZ .

Happy new year all .

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the OTA of this scope anywhere? I know that this is unusual with some of the smaller Chinese scopes, but wondered if anyone had seen any for sale anywhere? Thanks. CW

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the OTA of this scope anywhere? I know that this is unusual with some of the smaller Chinese scopes, but wondered if anyone had seen any for sale anywhere? Thanks. CW

Hi Catweazel,

I had a look and the OTA is available from House of Optics in Germany for 138 Euro.

www.hoo-germany.de

Then 'FH' (fraunhofer) refractors.

Cheers Steve

Hey there! great review i enjoyed reading it very much:D I have a bit of a silly question here so here goes;i recently bought this scope and got it delivered i have put it together correctly and all is fine. I started to test the scope and it works fine , but then i wanted to test the X2 Barlow lens that came with the scope but it doesn't seem to fit in the diagonal , i took all of the protective caps off the barlow but there is like a threaded cap with a small hole on it and i'm not sure if i should take it off or not, any ideas?

I know it sounds silly but this is my first scope so i know little about it xD. Anyway thanks!

Thanks Steve, for a great review on this scope which I wouldn't previously have considered - but this looks an excellent choice for a light grab and go or for my six year old son if he maintains the level of interest.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up so well.

Jake

Thanks Steve, for a great review on this scope which I wouldn't previously have considered - but this looks an excellent choice for a light grab and go or for my six year old son if he maintains the level of interest. Thanks for taking the time to write it up so well. Jake

No problem at all Jake, my lad is eight years old and loves using this telescope when we visit 'Grandma'! It's the right size for him with the tripod legs retracted.

Hey there! great review i enjoyed reading it very much:D I have a bit of a silly question here so here goes;i recently bought this scope and got it delivered i have put it together correctly and all is fine. I started to test the scope and it works fine , but then i wanted to test the X2 Barlow lens that came with the scope but it doesn't seem to fit in the diagonal , i took all of the protective caps off the barlow but there is like a threaded cap with a small hole on it and i'm not sure if i should take it off or not, any ideas? I know it sounds silly but this is my first scope so i know little about it xD. Anyway thanks!

Hmm....Anthony I admit to being a little baffled there, perhaps you could PM me a photo of the problem? My stock Barlow just has a cylindrical cap on the bottom, and a more substantial, non threaded, cap on the top. Both caps just pull off, insert the Barlow into the diagonal and then an eyepiece into the top of the Barlow. But the fact that you say there is a thead makes me wonder if you have a camera attachment included with yours?

• 1 month later...

a fantastic review! I'm after a light, portable scope that will get me to see some nice bits of jupiter, the rings of saturn and a bit of other stuff. As a newbie I dont want to spend loads of cash, and from my togging days I know how important it is to get a decent body with great glass.

I was thinking something like a Mak 127 or even something like a SW 130, but after reading this review I'm thinking this could be a fantastic place to start!

• 1 year later...

90mm is a very interesting aperture but the trend today, unfortunately from my point of view, is for "fast" telescopes. The Evostar 90 is a f/10 telescope, so it almost verifies Conrady criteria which, in this case should be f/11. It's a pity Skywatcher didn't provide an alternative 90mm model with f/15. At this f-relation it would have a focal length of 1350mm which gives no trouble, and would have a CA factor of 4.23, closer to the Sigdwick value of 5. A 90mm f/15 refractor would be an impressive instrument, both for lunar, planetary and double star observation.
Why I'm telling this? Well, I have an old 3-in f/16.4 refractor (old OKKK series) and it gives amazing planetary and lunar views with absolutely no CA! Even with a focal length of 1250mm is still perfectly usable and portable. It easily takes 208x (6mm TMB Planetary II eyepiece) on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon, which means 70x per inch, certainly quite a feat thanks to it's long focus. Once you get used to long focus refractors with almost no CA, it's hard to accept new refractors with noticeable CA!
Clear skies for all!

• 1 year later...

Many moons later (like it?!)  - an update on the little Evo 90.

Jupiter's GRS was eventually seen, using a Celestron XCel 5mm eyepiece, and believe it or not, a Skywatcher stock diagonal.

The feature did not 'leap out' at me and I had to look for it quite hard.   But once seen it was most certainly present and correct and I could easily then take my eye away, then come back and re-locate it without difficulty.

I recently aquired a better diagonal (TAL) from F15 Rules, I must try that in the Evo too when I get the chance.

Archived