Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Antares and Scorpio

geoff_k

Spurred on by the Sky at Night feature on Scorpio, I took my binos to the hill above my house and took a look at that area.

I live in a dip and there is no chance of seeing it through the scope from my garden.

A very interesting constellation. Just a pity it's an horizon-scraper in our part of the world.

Yes, a fantastic sight when it is properly above the Horizon. I was at COAA in Portugal in mid June - Scorpius and Sagittarius are well above the horizon from there - spent lots of time just gazing up at them, slack jawed with wonder - superb area of the sky - we miss a lot by being so far North.

Here is an image (stacked 2 x 60 sec exposures at 20mm. f3.2) of Sco and the Milky Way - lots of fuzzies in there.

Tom

Tom

Like the picture. Sadly, my view wasn't as good as that!

Without appearing to be thick - COAA - Que?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

COAA (google it) is an astronomy B&B run by a British couple in the Algarve, They are based about 10 miles inland from Portomao.

They have a 20" driven newt, a 12" driven newt, an 8" driven Newt (with CCD) and a 12" Dob - oh and a driven camera mount - 2 min wide field images are fine. It is set up mainly for imaging, but still good for observing. The people (Bev and Jan) are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Jan is also an excellent cook. Bev does the astronomy and knows his equipment and DSOs very well - you will get some nice images with him guiding you.

Tom

Sounds interesting.

Being thoroughly peed off with the weather over here, I was discussing the possibility of a trip to somewhere with dark skies with a friend of mine. However, the thought of taking scopes, etc abroad in these times of heightened security is not that inviting. I know people do it, but .....

Must find out more. Love to be able to take an image of Omega Centauri.

I'm very envious :D Tom

I mamaged to see Jupiter & Antares last night in between the houses.

Couldn't get the scope on them but it was nice just to see 2 objects that are nigh on impossible to observe from my site.

Sounds interesting.

Must find out more. Love to be able to take an image of Omega Centauri.

I saw Omega Centauri from COAA - a very nice sight. A bit low on the horizon, but hey - it is 15 degrees below the horizon from where I live, so I'm not complaining.

Tom

Being the proud owner of my first big scope, an Orion XT 10, I turned it to Antares to see the famous double...

After two nights of attempts and some on line searches I guess there are several reasons why I could not seperate the Binary pair.

#1 Atmosphere clarity

#2 More moon light makes it easier to seperate...as it cuts down on the light from Antares which can obliterate the smaller sister.

#3 The green sister star was behind Antares

I was using my 25mm eye piece at first then I tried my 10mm, no luck either way...I also tried with and without my 2X Barlow with those two lenses.

How difficult should it be to split the pair?

Thanks

JL

This pair can be quite tough from the UK.

The 2.5" (arc second) separation and the difference in apparent magnitude 1st vs 5th means Anatres will overwhelm the secondary.

Due to the low altitide of Antares this will 'smear' the light and so the secondary gets lost in the glare, this is the main reason.

I would wait until you have a night of good seeing then you should have a reasonable chance of seeing it.

Cheers

Ian

It takes legendary seeing to split Antares. I've done it from Grand Canyon and Stone Haven with my C8, but seeing in both instances was 9/10 and 8/10, respectively. (Jupiter 1/2 hour after rising showed festoons, swirls and much detail in the C8 from GC, for instance.) It's also much higher from Arizona than UK, so extinction was minimal. I wouldn't say "forget it", but you may be flying on a wing and a prayer. Good luck!

Funnily enough, as I was putting my scope out last night, I could actually see Antares between a gap in the buildings. Meant I was able to point the scope at it for the first time ever.

Unfortunately, I was pressed against my garden wall. I think I will have to wait until I can get to COAA or somewhere similar.

Geoff

Thanks everyone so much. My first question and what a wonderful group of experienced people. I will educate myself and participate as much as possible. All my amature life has been with binoculars. Now that I have a scope I still have so much to learn.

Cheers!

Archived