NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(Don't) "Paint it Black"?

Macavity

Despite the song, I repainted by observatory in "Dark Oak".

So much nicer than "Ginger" (No offense to redheads!)? ;)

BUT I've noted that the WALLS get significantly hotter in the (occasional) Sun! Not exactly a disaster... I sense there is a good reason why Cricket Pavilions tend to be WHITE though. ;)

So much nicer than "Ginger" (No offense to redheads!)? :o

BUT I've noted that the WALLS get significantly hotter in the (occasional) Sun! Not exactly a disaster... I sense there is a good reason why Cricket Pavilions tend to be WHITE though. ;)

Interesting - I thought the reference to painting obys black refers to the interior eg to absorb 'heat' and radiate it outwards away from the scope etc. Some do paint their interiors black but it's funereal for the daytime experience and probably of little actual value.;)

Now white/shiny oby exteriors make sense - btw vegetation is the best reflector of IR heat -[recall the white landscape in IR pics?] so nature's got some good tricks for shade used below:hello2:

However some like/insist their oby 'disappears' in the landscape so its dark brown or green exteriors for them and forget the heat build-up ;)

post-33671-133877749489_thumb.jpg

So much nicer than "Ginger" (No offense to redheads!)? ;)

Basic physical principles in action here. Black absorbs and white reflects radiation, hence black will heat up, white will stay relatively cool.

It's always been my belief that black interiors are solely to preserve dark adaptation, and is nothing to with heat management.

Paint the outside whatever colour suits and as nytecam suggests surround with vegetation. Trellis on one foot standoffs with some evergreen climbers works well and looks great.

Interior I wouldn't do black, just too dark. A nice mid blue looks nice and is still dark at night.

Cheers

Ian

Mine's in a rural area so it's green outside (Ronseal green wood preserver). Blends in nicely ;) It all wood and the warm room part is insulated.

Heheh... Yes, it's the exterior that ended up as "dark" oak. <G> But indeed "black" is both a good absorber AND a good radiator. A day or so later, I find a lot of the (bright sun) "heat shimmer" over the outer wall surface had been due to evaporation of residual solvent - Water! ;)

Aside: I painted the outside in Cuprinol (Dark Oak) "Ducksback" - The original finish type re. "Alexanders Observatories". In most ways, a fine thing? The interior is now indeed mid-blue: Dulux (trade) Eggshell - called "Holiday Blues" - apparently. Under my (red LED) "Cinema" downlighting, internal walls look almost black. :)

P.S. Am much taken by the idea of a standoff trellis, and a bit of greenery!

My lo-maint "garden" does look a bit like a "tennis court" at the moment. :)

But indeed "black" is both a good absorber AND a good radiator. . :)

Indeed it is, which is obviously why it's not the best colour to paint exterior surfaces, all that re-radiated heat causing undesirable air-currents.

I like the idea of surrounding the obs with vegetation. When (or if?) I ever get round to building my dream roll-off, I'd thought I might have climbers covering the walls. Very pleasing on the eye and would, as said, help reflect heat.

Also like the idea of darkish blue interiors. Black is too harsh in daylight in my view. Under a red light blue looks close to black anyway.

Archived