Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What the hell did I just see?

ronnietucker

True sign of an astro-n00b. Got up at ~4:45am to take a leek and noticed that Saturn was in view, so decided to have a quick peek.

As I got the lid off the scope I saw a flashing dot (pinky/red and white) just above Mars. Took me about 15secs to get the scope on it (it was moving pretty fast) and as it whizzed across the eyepiece I'm sure I saw a couple of lights on it. After that I lost it.

I've no idea what it was, but plotting its course in Stellarium it seems to coincide with the equator.

Anyone else see this strange object and know what it is/was?

post-33277-133877748699_thumb.jpg

Only thing with the aircraft theory (even though I kinda think it's a plane too) is that whenever I see aircraft coming/going to the airport they're going in the opposite direction and are usually much larger and quite obviously aircraft.

Only thing with the aircraft theory (even though I kinda think it's a plane too) is that whenever I see aircraft coming/going to the airport they're going in the opposite direction and are usually much larger and quite obviously aircraft.

Could be in line. I live under the flight path for landing at Edinburgh Airport and I've seen all manner of odd aircraft behaviour.

Archived