Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

very tough to acquire: NGC3945

sergeC14

Hello fellow imagers...

At the moment, I am spending every night trying to image galaxies in Ursa Major, which means I don't get much sleep since the weather is gorgeous here...

A very tough target was NGC3945. It is an unsual barred spiral with a very diffuse ring around it. Trying to process the image to make the ring appaent without lettin the noise in was a nightmare. Anyway, here we go:

NGC3945procs.jpg

at least, you don't get to see it very often!!!

Comments welcome

Regards

Serge

Hi Serge.

Thats an exerllent image,only let down a little by the noise.This is,nt a Galaxy thats often imaged,so well done for having ago.

I hope you dont mind but i had a little play to try an reduce the noise level.

The Galaxy is a little subdued in the image,but see what you think.

Best regards.

Mick.

post-17080-133877748524_thumb.jpg

Serge

I checked my log and drawings and I have found this one. Logged on 20 April 2009. It was a circular smudge next to a field star in my drawing which must be the bright one in your pic.. I of course could not make out the lovely detail you caught in my 10 inch dob..

Mark

Wow, I'm heading straight for TheSky to find this little fella! Thanks for sharing!

Something like PixInsight will work on that background like magic without clipping the black point. If you don't have that program I don't mind if you dropbox me the image and I'll send it back after that one click wonder that PI provides for a sky like yours.

Nice one!

If you want you can drop

Hey guys,

thanks for the nice comments and Mick, thanks for your effort! I'm not sure where the gradient comes from, but I suspect my flats, which are causing me nothing but grief!!!

Jessun, I'll do he next best thing, I'll send you the raw stacked image, just to see what you can do as I'm a post processing bum.I'm doing NGC4725 as we "speak" 6 subs, 18 to go, the sky is stable tonight but the transparency is pretty bad. We'll see...

thx

Serge

How do you find these little ones?? Great effort! I have a few little ones on my hit list too so I realy like your work!

Mind you I am a novice, the trick I am referring to is quite easy. But sure send the stack! Are your subs calibrated at all? Like flats etc? Could you produce a sigma stack? That should clear out some of the trails.

astro mick trust me I wasn't referring to your edit at all, I just know from own experience that it's so easy to 'clip out' a problematic background and I have done it myself many times. This particular function in PixInsight makes an image of the background and then substracts or divides this image from the one you're working on. One click pretty much!

Your second go is a giant leap in the right direction!

Hi Neil.

In the post i did say the imaged was clipped.

Mick.

Sorry Mick...I was just restating it so that i had something else to put rather than just "nice pic i like it" ;)

When its clear again i think i'll have a look at this target.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

Hello,

Jessun did give me an excellent idea! I made a special download page on my C14 website, where anybody who wants to have a go at post processing can download raw fit format image files... The files are just the median sum of the calibrated and registered subs. So, for those willing, have fun and don't forget to post your version here or to email me at sergepetiot "at" yahoo.co.uk

here is the link: Download raw deep sky images | Amateur Astronomy

Regards

Serge

come on.....don't let a frenchman dare you!

I'm sure anybody can do better than me............

Serge

Shall I mention Paris and Rugby Football?.........No,too cruel,I am an Englishman,after all.........;)

Thanks for the link,I think I shall enjoy playing with those images long term....... in the meantime here are some quick tweaks just for fun.......;).

post-13495-133877749199_thumb.jpg

post-13495-133877749206_thumb.jpg

post-13495-133877749212_thumb.jpg

not bad, cloud watcher, thanks!

But the background is a funny two tone gray black on my monitor.

Good effort though.

Serge

PS: what Rugby? England NEVER played in Paris, it's just a Limy propaganda thingy!!!;)

:hello2:anyway....

Thanks, I try my hardest...

Mind you, I don't lack targets with the C14. My main problem really is that I use an OSC camera hence processing is harder. Which is why I posted those raw images, so that I can get advice on post processing and et beter at it. I still have NGC4725 to process, but doctor house is on tonight on TV, here in France

Serge

Archived