DSLR right angle viewfinder add on

geppetto

Got one of these a few days ago

http://tinyurl.com/333xyx

Was having difficulty judging the correct focus spot by looking through

the viewfinder of my Nikon D40.

Also, with the camera on the end of a refractor, I was almost bent double

to get at the viewfinder.

This right angle gadget has solved both problems, the barrel twists to most angles

and in it's x2 setting, it's easy to see best focus.

Very pleased with it, much better than I expected.

Took about 10 days to arrive which is good service from abroad and it's a lot cheaper

than the proper Nikon one.

Tested it out today by trying to image the current sun spots but cloud kept spilling over.

Still, I got to take some test shots and it was very easy to focus on the spots. :wink:

rh1.jpg

rh2.jpg

spotest.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very much like the one that I bought - Seagul. Optics seem OK probably not as good as a genuine Pentax but then £15 vs £150 ( at least for the Pentax) youu can't go wrong.

As a wearer of varifocal glasses I have found focusing much easier with the right angle viewfinder. Could never get it right before once I had moved head to knee, twisted to look over right shoulder, tip head to get correct part of glasses lens to viewfinder, 1 hand to focus knob, other hand to maintain balance :wink::cool:

Then of course aftyer three or four mins of fiddle f..ting about I can't get upright again - if lucky fall away from the scope and take a picture.

Then have to go through the whole palaver again to check the LCD.

So go on Steve - get one - you know you want to - and there's still a bit of space in one of those boxes of yours. :lol:

Rob

Looks good Phil. Thanks for the report.

After crawling on my hands and knees to look at the DSLR screen last Saturday I think I need one.

I wanted to change from Large Fine JPG resolution to Large Fine RAW. Instead I hit the Small Chunky JPG menu. Was I pleased !

Looks like you've got a substantial concrete pier to replace the wooden one. All this rain can't have done the wooden pier much good I guess.

8)

MD

Looks like you've got a substantial concrete pier to replace the wooden one

The wooden pier is still there MD encased in concrete isolated with some damp proof material.

The pier was fine but I had some spare bags of concrete to use up

so I decided to add some mass to the pier..

Not pretty but it doesn't shake 8) :wink:

I've got a cheapo "seagull" right angle viewfinder - £15 rather than the £120 Canon one. It isn't perfect - not as well made as what one would expect from Canon, but frankly, for £15 - it does the job - not so much limbo dancing to see through the viewfinder, and the x2 is useful on focussing.

Tom

We could do with swapping the unused adaptor thingies for spares if enough

folk are using different makes of camera. :wink:

Good idea Philip, I am happy to dig out the used adaptors that I got with mine - & happy to swap for another Canon adaptor.

Tom

I got a right angled viewer for my canon 350 about a year ago and it totally changed the way in which I could use the camera, I got mine off ebay from a guy in hong kong (velly cheep nice price, £30.00. the times 1 and times 2 option made all the difference and save me a lot of back pain in the meantime. for those who are unsure, dont be, this addition to the camera is an excellent idea.

I got a right angled viewer for my canon 350 about a year ago and it totally changed the way in which I could use the camera, I got mine off ebay from a guy in hong kong (velly cheep nice price, £30.00. the times 1 and times 2 option made all the difference and save me a lot of back pain in the meantime. for those who are unsure, dont be, this addition to the camera is an excellent idea.

Very useful gadget. I had the Olympus one ( for OM1n) this by pure chance fits the 350D as well.

John

Well, I've had chance to use mine quite a few times and I rate it as the most

usefull add on I've bought yet bar non..

Precise focusing on stars and moon detail using the x2 setting and as an aside

it's brilliant for manual focusing when doing macro stuff

Excellent bit of kit 8) :D

Thanks for the info Phil

Just what i was looking for

Also ordered a 12V laptop power supply £13 instead of £75 for Compaq one

.... get one of those solar panel laptop chargers... it saves on your eleccy bill and saves the planet at the same time :D. The one I linked too probably isn't the cheapest on the net, there's loads around.

Vega

• 2 weeks later...

Archived