Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion 10/8mm??????

M4lcs67

I bought a Hyperion 24mm a while ago and am loving it's wide fov. I am now considering getting something with more power and have the above two ep's on my list. It will be a straight replacement for the stock 9mm that came with the scope and will be sometimes used in conjunction with my Ultima 2x barlow and also on it's own.

With the barlow attached the 10mm would give 5mm and the 8mm ep would give 4mm. Of course this is when seeing conditions allow. Has anyone else had experience of the 10 and 8 mm Hyperions? I would think that the 10mm would be good on it's own and also with the barlow, but I don't know if the 8 would be. I suppose that most newbies would go straight for the highest power possible, but if it isn't as usable on a day to day basis as the 10 then it does seem a little pointless.

Thanks for your comments /opinions.........

Malc I got the ES82 in the 8.8 and 11mm FL for the same reason... if the 8.8 is too much for a given set of viewing conditions, hopefully the 11 will be a little more tolerant.

I can only dream about conditions good enough to use a 4 or 5mm though, that's some pretty serious magnification :) but if you don't have it to try, you'll never know :)

I have the 10mm and use it with my Skymax 127, which I think is the same OTA as your SLT. I can't comment on the Celestron 9mm, but the Skywatcher 10mm isn't much good and the Baader is a definite improvement, particularly for FOV. I went for the 10mm as it gives a magnification of 150 which is usually usable, rather than anything shorter where seeing might mean that it couldn't be used.

XPN

If you are going for something around 8mm consider the Pentax XF 8.5mm, it is a bit more expensive than the Hyperion 8 (115 euro for the Hyperion vs 159 euro for the Pentax XF, over here), and has a slightly smaller FOV (60 deg), but it beat my previous 8mm Radian in terms of quality. A real keeper, the XF 8.5. It is my best planetary EP, giving orthoscopic type quality over the large FOV with comfortable eye relief.

My Hyperion 10mm is one of the most used EP's in my Mak 127. It is excellent and will be a huge improvement over your stock 9mm. I've never bothered barlowing it down, as I tend to find my 7mm BGO gives the highest usable magnification in the Mak.

Archived