Quick help with synscan goto

I am having a problem aligning the stars during setup.

I just spent 45 minutes trying to setup and now the clouds have come over (wanted to look ar venus and jupiter togather and maybe gat some photos, im gutted)

I put the time, date and location in and then select align stars. I select one and then it starts to slew to a random place and I have to then slew to the right place (sometimes 180 degrees) sometimes when it does the slewing on its own the scope hits the tripod and sometimes it points to the floor.

Why is this happening? i never did this before I updated the hand held computer but its doing it now, tonight is the first time I used the scope since the update.

Before I updated all I did was choose a star and used the arrows to locate it and then do a 2nd star. The synscan did not ever take it upon itself to slew on its own.

Now im worried that i will not be able to get it working properly again.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks

Just input the info the handset asks for ( time, date, co-ordinates etc ) answer "no" to begin star align then just use the direction keys to slew manually. You can also set the slew speed in the handset menus.

Not sure but wasn't there a thread saying that until aligned, even just basicly, the scope wouldn't track? So you can point it at an object but that object drifts out of view.

No it won't track either because it doesn't know which direction it's pointing. It has to be aligned for tracking and then the manual slewing won't work.

No it won't track either because it doesn't know which direction it's pointing. It has to be aligned for tracking and then the manual slewing won't work.

Correction. The direction keys will work when it's tracking so as to make fine adjustments to get object in centre of the eyepiece.

All my info is re synscan AZ btw.

Jon, i'd suggest going through all of the base settings again :

Lat / long / date / time

Also make sure scope is in the home position, before turning on - as daft as it sounds, I did it earlier this week.

Jon, i'd suggest going through all of the base settings again :

Lat / long / date / time

Also make sure scope is in the home position, before turning on - as daft as it sounds, I did it earlier this week.

What is the home position? I have never done that before but nerer had a problem (unless its something you have to do when you have updated the hand held computer)

Its the latest FW 3.27 i think it is. It is just the standard synscan mount that comes with the sky watcher 130.

this one : First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

The Skywatcher 130P AZ-GOTO uses this version of the firmware AZ03.08. You have flashed the handset with the Eq firmware which is why the mount is not working correctly.

Peter

What is the home position? I have never done that before but nerer had a problem (unless its something you have to do when you have updated the hand held computer)

You should put it into home, before powering on the mount.

Basically point the scope towards Polaris, then power on.

The fact that you mention it is sometimes pointing in completely the wrong direction, leads me to suspect that you're inputting the date in the DD/MM/YYYY format, which will only work on 12 dates in a year.

The mount is expecting the American MM/DD/YYYY format. I got caught like this a couple of times when I first got the scope/mount, usually when there were witnesses.:)

Russell

The Skywatcher 130P AZ-GOTO uses this version of the firmware AZ03.08. You have flashed the handset with the Eq firmware which is why the mount is not working correctly.

Peter

Well thats why then, the main reason that it will not work is because I am an idiot.

Looks like I will have to flash it again. I have just downloaded the files needed.

Thanks for your help.

I do not believe you will need to start from the home position with the mount you have although this was required on older versions. I have had mine about 9 months and can start from any position. You do, however, have to manually slew to the first target. I also use the Brightest Star option which involves 3 targets rather than 2 as I find this far more accurate.

I do not believe you will need to start from the home position with the mount you have although this was required on older versions. I have had mine about 9 months and can start from any position. You do, however, have to manually slew to the first target. I also use the Brightest Star option which involves 3 targets rather than 2 as I find this far more accurate.

From my position in a north facing garden it's difficult to find 3 stars, for me I choose 2, I wish I could choose 3 :-(

Archived